Retired lecturer Donald Ho was out for his morning stroll in a busy downtown park on Saturday, anxious about what Chinese jets and ships holding war games around Taiwan meant for freedom in the country.
“I am a little worried, I would be lying to you if I say that I am not,” the 73-year-old said in Taipei.
“The problem is sovereignty. I want independence, but they [China] just regard Taiwan as a province,” he said.
Photo: Hsieh Chieh-yu, Taipei Times
Beijing launched three days of military drills on Saturday dubbed “Joint Sword” to rehearse the encirclement of Taiwan after a meeting between President Tsai Ing-wen (蔡英文) and US House of Representatives Speaker Kevin McCarthy on Wednesday in California.
It was the biggest military action by Beijing around Taiwan since launching huge drills in August last year following a visit by then-US House speaker Nancy Pelosi.
Other Taiwanese were out stretching their legs or practicing taichi in Daan Park, unbowed by the new military movements offshore.
“Go to the city, everybody is eating, dancing, laughing, everything,” retired businessman Jasper Lee, 75, said. “China, they are stuck in their brain. They think Taiwan belongs to them.”
Taiwanese of all ages were keen to shake off the Chinese threat, while reiterating that being free was paramount.
“We have to keep our life going. We cannot just stop our life,” said 16-year-old student Nathan Green, a dual Australian-Taiwanese national.
“I don’t like a government that is like a prison. I don’t like a government that wants to control our people. I like a government that is free,” he said.
His friend Wison Su, 16, said that he wants to join the army after finishing school because he is a patriot like his brother, who has served for three years.
“I don’t like the government, but I don’t hate the people in China,” he said.
While sentiment among the park-goers was mostly opposed to the Chinese Communist Party, some felt a kinship with Chinese living under Chinese President Xi Jinping’s (習近平) assertive rule.
“I feel safe in Taiwan. I don’t think they will attack. We are like brothers,” 57-year-old teacher John Shih said. “If they bomb Taiwan, the relationship is broken forever.”
Even in the relative calm, Taiwanese residents were clear that the liberties they enjoy are sacrosanct.
“Freedom is maybe the most important thing for a country,” Green said.
A group of university students practiced their dance moves in Liberty Square in Taipei, seemingly unfazed by the massive Chinese military exercises.
“Of course I am a bit afraid,” said Hong Xiang-yu, a 23-year-old university student, after dance practice in the popular public square. “Look, we are at Liberty Square. I hope to stay free, to do whatever I wish and say whatever I want to say.”
The imposing square, flanked by Taipei’s grand National Theater and Concert Hall, has become a site for social gatherings as well as rallies and protests.
Residents regularly gather there and school bands and dance troupes are a common sight.
“I think many Taiwanese have gotten used to it by now, the feeling is like: ‘Here we go again,’” 16-year-old Jim Tsai said.
While people appeared to have grown accustomed to Chinese aggression, they still hold faith that Taiwan will remain free.
“We are concerned, but we need to move on. I believe our government will not let us down,” Hong said.
“They [China] seem to like doing it, circling Taiwan like it’s theirs. I am used to it now,” said Michael Chuang, a 32-year-old construction worker.
He, like many others, remained pragmatic.
“If they invade, we can’t escape anyway. We’ll see what the future holds and go from there,” he said.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as