Sixteen of the 20 bodies that have been found on Taiwan’s west coast since February have been identified, with nine of them being Taiwanese and seven Vietnamese, police said yesterday, adding that they were investigating whether a wooden boat might be linked to the bodies.
Most of the deaths are believed to have resulted from a boat that capsized in the Taiwan Strait during a human trafficking operation seeking to bring Vietnamese to Taiwan to work, the Criminal Investigation Bureau (CIB) said.
Investigators examined a boat found off Chiayi County to assess whether it had been carrying the people. The boat had capsized in high waves, CIB officials said.
Photo courtesy of the Coast Guard Administration
A vessel has been listed as missing from a fishing port in China’s Fujian Province, they said.
Since Feb. 18, 20 bodies have been recovered, one of them on a wind turbine platform off Changhua County, International Criminal Affairs Division official Dustin Lee (李泱輯) said.
Vietnamese IDs were found on two of the bodies, while a mobile phone on another had a photograph of 14 people that was most likely a group shot taken just before they boarded a vessel, investigators said, adding that the photo was a vital clue in the case.
The seven Vietnamese were identified by fingerprinting and DNA tests, while the Vietnam Economic and Cultural Office in Taipei assisted with the work and contacted relatives of the deceased people in Vietnam, Lee said.
“We have received reports from local police and the Coast Guard Administration of bodies washing up on shore since last month [February],” Lee said. “Examinations show that nine dead bodies were Taiwanese, with most of them identified by their family members.”
“Thus far, no evidence links them to the Vietnamese or involvement in maritime human trafficking,” he said.
After autopsies were conducted on the nine Taiwanese, prosecutors and police units clarified details with family members and friends, determining that they had drowned after being swept out to sea or had committed suicide, Lee said.
Normal procedures were followed for families to collect the bodies for burial, he said.
The seven Vietnamese — five males and two females, with one surnamed Tran — and four as yet unidentified bodies were likely among the 14 people in the photograph, he said.
CIB investigators said that the human smuggling operation had probably been bringing people from northern Vietnam.
They likely paid criminal organizations to arrange travel from Vietnam to the port in China, from where Chinese attempted to transport them across the Taiwan Strait, but the vessel capsized in rough seas, he said.
Data showed that the identified Vietnamese had previously worked in Taiwan, but absconded and were caught and deported back to Vietnam, investigators said.
They wanted to return to Taiwan because they can earn higher wages than in Vietnam, they said.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
A magnitude 4.9 earthquake struck off Tainan at 11:47am today, the Central Weather Administration (CWA) said. The hypocenter was 32.3km northeast of Tainan City Hall at a depth of 7.3km, CWA data showed. The intensity of the quake, which gauges the actual effect of a seismic event, measured 4 in Tainan and Chiayi County on Taiwan's seven-tier intensity scale, the data showed. The quake had an intensity of 3 in Chiayi City and County, and Yunlin County, while it was measured as 2 in Kaohsiung, Nantou County, Changhua County, Taitung County and offshore Penghu County, the data showed. There were no immediate reports of
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated