One person died and two others remain trapped after a two-story building in Taichung’s Central District (中區) collapsed yesterday morning, the local Fire Bureau said.
As of press time last night, rescue work was ongoing.
The bureau said rescuers were immediately dispatched to the scene on Section 1 of Taiwan Boulevard after it received reports of the incident at 10:44am.
Photo courtesy of Taichung Fire Bureau via CNA
The building was a 100-year-old structure made of timber beams, bricks and metal roofing, the Taichung City Government said, citing a preliminary investigation.
Construction workers were digging into the foundation of an adjacent lot — the site of a house that was demolished last year — when the two-story building toppled and fell on the work site, trapping three workers under the wreckage, it said.
A man pulled from the rubble at 11:15am showed no vital signs and was pronounced dead at 12:07pm after efforts by doctors at Taichung Hospital to resuscitate him failed, the bureau added.
The man was severely injured, with bleeding in his abdomen, and bone fractures in his pelvis, hands and legs, the hospital said.
The bureau’s rescue dog team was able to find the general location of the two trapped workers, but excavators could not be utilized as they might trigger another collapse, the bureau said.
At 5pm, rescuers saw the top of the head and part of the hand of a worker amid the rubble, but the man did not respond when they called out to him, it said.
Officials from the Ministry of Labor’s Occupational Safety and Health Administration and the Taichung Urban Development Bureau identified a number of code violations on the work site, including a lack of rebar struts.
The construction site was ordered to halt all work and pay separate fines of NT$300,000 and NT$18,000.
A Taichung district prosecutor has visited the site to investigate whether negligent homicide charges should be filed.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
A wild live dugong was found in Taiwan for the first time in 88 years, after it was accidentally caught by a fisher’s net on Tuesday in Yilan County’s Fenniaolin (粉鳥林). This is the first sighting of the species in Taiwan since 1937, having already been considered “extinct” in the country and considered as “vulnerable” by the International Union for Conservation of Nature. A fisher surnamed Chen (陳) went to Fenniaolin to collect the fish in his netting, but instead caught a 3m long, 500kg dugong. The fisher released the animal back into the wild, not realizing it was an endangered species at
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
The High Prosecutors’ Office yesterday withdrew an appeal against the acquittal of a former bank manager 22 years after his death, marking Taiwan’s first instance of prosecutors rendering posthumous justice to a wrongfully convicted defendant. Chu Ching-en (諸慶恩) — formerly a manager at the Taipei branch of BNP Paribas — was in 1999 accused by Weng Mao-chung (翁茂鍾), then-president of Chia Her Industrial Co, of forging a request for a fixed deposit of US$10 million by I-Hwa Industrial Co, a subsidiary of Chia Her, which was used as collateral. Chu was ruled not guilty in the first trial, but was found guilty