The legislature yesterday passed a highly anticipated spending plan to redistribute surplus tax revenue, including a NT$6,000 (US$197.67) handout to citizens and eligible foreign nationals beginning on April 6.
The bill to distribute NT$379.9 billion from surplus tax revenues was approved by lawmakers across party lines after they agreed to cut NT$120 million, or 3.29 percent, from the proposed NT$380 billion.
The bill, proposed by the Cabinet late last month, budgets tax surplus from fiscal 2022 and would be used until 2025 to cover debts accumulated by state-run companies and programs, and provide incentives to help boost the economy.
Photo: Tu Chien-jung, Taipei Times
A total of NT$141.7 billion is budgeted for the NT$6,000 cash handout foreign nationals with permanent residency and resident spouses of Taiwanese nationals are also eligible to receive.
Foreign nationals without permanent residency are not eligible, regardless of whether they have paid taxes in Taiwan.
Other allocations include NT$30 billion to the Labor Insurance fund, NT$20 billion to the National Health Insurance fund and NT$50 billion to state-run Taiwan Power Co (Taipower), all of which have been operating at a loss.
The Ministry of Economic Affairs is to receive NT$31.7 billion for subsidies to small and medium-sized enterprises and the manufacturing sector.
Another NT$10.3 billion is to go to the Ministry of Health and Welfare for financial assistance to low-income and lower-middle-income households, people with disabilities and other disadvantaged groups.
The Ministry of Transportation and Communications is to receive NT$27.4 billion to subsidize public transportation fares and provide incentives for foreign tourists to visit Taiwan.
Aside from NT$1.3 billion that is being held in reserve, the remaining surplus revenues are to go to the education, culture and interior ministries for subsidies and programs.
Dozens of proposed changes to the bill were rejected yesterday after being put to the vote, including a proposal by the Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) to raise the cash handout to NT$10,000.
Speaking after the bill’s passage, KMT caucus whip William Tseng (曾銘宗) said he hopes the cash handouts help Taiwanese, despite the failure of his party to increase the amount.
However, Tseng criticized the allocation of NT$50 billion to Taipower, saying the company’s financial problems were caused by the government’s failures in its energy policy.
Taipower has denied similar claims and blamed “soaring international fuel prices” for its losses.
The company recorded losses of NT$267.5 billion last year and NT$32.1 billion, before tax, in January, an increase of NT$5.9 billion over the same month last year.
Although the soaring cost of natural gas and other fuels was at the root of the losses, Taipower was not able to pass on the costs to power users as the government tried to manage inflation.
The government has also moved to use natural gas more aggressively in Taiwan’s overall power mix as it phases out nuclear power and reduces the use of coal-fired power plants because of emissions concerns, leaving Taiwan more vulnerable to increases in the fuel’s price.
Despite government reluctance to raise electricity prices, it agreed on March 17 to do so to “reflect costs.”
Households and small businesses are to see an average electricity price increase of 2.6 percent starting on Saturday next week, while industries would be affected by a more marked increase of 14.2 percent.
Premier Chen Chien-jen (陳建仁) thanked lawmakers shortly after the bill was passed and said the government would do its best to allocate the cash payments “as soon as possible.”
Online registration for the cash handouts began on Wednesday.
People who complete registration before Monday are to receive payment as early as April 6 via direct deposit, the Ministry of Digital Affairs said.
Retrieval via ATMs would be available from April 10, and at post offices from April 17.
Additional reporting by Chung Li-hua
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as