Taiwan High Speed Rail Corp’s (THSRC) board of directors on Wednesday passed a resolution authorizing management to spend about NT$28.5 billion (US$930.4 million) to procure 12 sets of next-generation high-speed trains from the Hitachi Toshiba Supreme Consortium (HTSC).
The procurement of new trains has been planned since 2019 after taking into account various factors, from growth of transport volume to capacity to maintain and repair trains, flexibility in train deployment, and train occupancy rates on weekdays, weekends and holidays, THSRC said.
The deal was only finalized after the company held a public tender for the procurement for the third time in March last year, it said.
Photo courtesy of Taiwan High Speed Rail Corp via CNA
The first two tenders failed as the prices quoted by Japanese manufacturers were much higher than the market rate, the company said.
The board on Wednesday voted to grant the contract to HTSC after the company’s management reviewed tender documents prepared by contractors and engaged in multiple rounds of negotiations with companies that have priority negotiation rights, THSRC said.
Modeled after the N700S Shinkansen system, the next-generation high-speed trains would feature a more streamlined and energy-
saving design than the current 700T trains, the company said, adding that the new trains would travel faster and better serve passengers.
Each seat on the new train would be equipped with a 110V socket, and each train car would have an LCD panel to display information, double-deck luggage racks and other equipment, it said.
The agreement between THSRC and HTSC requires the contractor to begin delivering the new trains to Taiwan 42 months after it commences production, the railway operator said, adding that the first set should start operating 50 months after the project begins.
Local news media outlets reported that the first two tenders failed because Japanese contractors offered tenders of NT$5 billion per set of high-speed trains.
The deal was finalized after the price was halved to NT$2.3 billion, the reports said.
Last year, Japan-Republic of China Diet Members’ Consultative Council chairman Keiji Furuya raised the issue of THSRC’s procurement of new train cars from Japan at his meeting with President Tsai Ing-wen (蔡英).
The high-speed rail system “is a symbol of solid friendship between Taiwan and Japan, for which the two countries must cooperate,” Furuya said.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
A wild live dugong was found in Taiwan for the first time in 88 years, after it was accidentally caught by a fisher’s net on Tuesday in Yilan County’s Fenniaolin (粉鳥林). This is the first sighting of the species in Taiwan since 1937, having already been considered “extinct” in the country and considered as “vulnerable” by the International Union for Conservation of Nature. A fisher surnamed Chen (陳) went to Fenniaolin to collect the fish in his netting, but instead caught a 3m long, 500kg dugong. The fisher released the animal back into the wild, not realizing it was an endangered species at
The High Prosecutors’ Office yesterday withdrew an appeal against the acquittal of a former bank manager 22 years after his death, marking Taiwan’s first instance of prosecutors rendering posthumous justice to a wrongfully convicted defendant. Chu Ching-en (諸慶恩) — formerly a manager at the Taipei branch of BNP Paribas — was in 1999 accused by Weng Mao-chung (翁茂鍾), then-president of Chia Her Industrial Co, of forging a request for a fixed deposit of US$10 million by I-Hwa Industrial Co, a subsidiary of Chia Her, which was used as collateral. Chu was ruled not guilty in the first trial, but was found guilty
DEADLOCK: As the commission is unable to forum a quorum to review license renewal applications, the channel operators are not at fault and can air past their license date The National Communications Commission (NCC) yesterday said that the Public Television Service (PTS) and 36 other television and radio broadcasters could continue airing, despite the commission’s inability to meet a quorum to review their license renewal applications. The licenses of PTS and the other channels are set to expire between this month and June. The National Communications Commission Organization Act (國家通訊傳播委員會組織法) stipulates that the commission must meet the mandated quorum of four to hold a valid meeting. The seven-member commission currently has only three commissioners. “We have informed the channel operators of the progress we have made in reviewing their license renewal applications, and