The nation’s five telecoms would waive part or all of last month’s mobile phone service fees for registered residents of and visitors to Lienchiang County after communication was disrupted by damage to two undersea cables connecting the outlying county to Taiwan proper, the National Communications Commission (NCC) said yesterday.
Telecom services in the county are provided by two marine cables: the Taima No. 2 cable connecting Dongyin Island (東引島) to New Taipei City’s Tamsui District (淡水), and the Taima No. 3 cable connecting Nangan Island (南竿島) to Taoyuan.
The cables were damaged by Chinese boats on Feb. 2 and 8 respectively, leaving residents with slow Internet connections and unstable phone service.
Photo: Yu Chao-fu, Taipei Times
NCC Deputy Chairman and spokesman Wong Po-tsung (翁柏宗) said that the commission is aiming to resolve the matter from three aspects: repairing the cables, expanding the bandwidth of a microwave system connecting Taiwan proper and the county, and offering a compensation package for all parties affected by the incident.
“All five telecoms have agreed to completely waive last month’s service fees for their mobile phone service subscribers in Matsu, including those who have their billing addresses or registered home addresses in the outlying islands,” Wong said.
Monthly fees for those who traveled to Matsu last month would be reduced based on the duration of their stay there, Wong said.
For example, if a person spent five days in Matsu last month, 5/28 of the monthly fee would be deducted, Wong said.
Chunghwa Telecom would waive monthly fees for subscribers to its Hinet Internet service, as well as its multimedia-on-demand service for last month and this month, Wong said.
Whether the monthly fees for next month would be waived as well depends on the progress made in repairing the cables and expanding the bandwidth of the microwave system, he said.
Chunghwa Telecom last month said that it had booked a cable maintenance ship to start the repairs on April 20, but Wong said that the telecom has been contacting other ships to see if repairs could start earlier.
Meanwhile, the bandwidth of the microwave system is expected to be increased to 3.8 gigabits per second (Gbps) by the middle of this month and 8.148Gbps by the end of this year, Wong said, adding that the latter would achieve connection speeds close to those provided by cables.
Expanding the capacity of the microwave system is not an easy task, he said.
“Engineers must first install a receptor, with one end at Bamboo Lake (竹子湖) in Yangmingshan (陽明山) and the other on Dongyin Island,” he said.
“The antenna in Dongyin has a diameter of 4.5m and weighs 950kg. The construction crane that lifts the antenna weighs 25 tonnes and needs to be transported from Taiwan to Dongyin, and the construction process could be disrupted by bad weather,” he added.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as