Migrants’ rights groups yesterday rallied outside the Executive Yuan in Taipei to demand that the government overturn what they say are discriminatory obstacles for workers who vacation in their home countries.
Dozens of migrant workers led by the Migrants Empowerment Network in Taiwan and the Domestic Caretakers Union held up banners and placards urging the government to abolish complicated border regulations that they say target blue-collar migrant workers.
“Stop discriminative border controls. Stop discrimination against blue-collar migrant workers,” the crowd of about 50 shouted.
Union secretary Grace Huang (黃姿華) said unlike foreign white-collar professionals and Taiwanese, blue-collar migrant workers need to apply with the National Immigration Agency for a permit to re-enter Taiwan, and are required to enter the nation by the expiration date on the permit.
The policy is different from the one that applies to holders of an Alien Residency Certificate (ARC), which allows the bearer to enter and leave the nation freely.
The regulations became more complicated after the COVID-19 pandemic, and while the rules for Taiwanese and ARC holders were eased in November last year, they remain overly complicated for migrant workers, the union said.
Before a migrant worker can return to Taiwan, their employer or broker needs to file an application using the Ministry of Labor’s “Entry and Departure of the Foreign Labor Airport Care Service” Web site three days before their entry, it said.
Employers of migrant caregivers need to apply seven days before their arrival and provide photographs showing that the worker has a one-person bedroom and separate bathroom that they could use during the self-health disease prevention period, the union said, adding that otherwise, the worker would need to stay at a hotel upon arrival in Taiwan.
Workers returning to Taiwan are not allowed to leave the airport on their own, and must be signed for and collected by their employer or an individual assigned by the employer, the union said.
The groups said the regulations are discriminatory and do not respect the hard work that migrant workers do for Taiwanese.
The regulations have resulted in problematic situations for some migrant workers, they added.
A Philippine caretaker identified only as Michelle said in a recorded video that she has been unable to return to Taiwan from the Philippines, after her re-entry permit expired when she experienced flight delays.
Michelle said that to save money, her employer booked a flight from Manila to Taiwan that transited through Palawan, but the flights were delayed, causing her permit to expire.
“My broker and employer abandoned me and told me to find a new employer and broker,” Michelle said. “I’m having a hard time and my boss and broker don’t care about me anymore.”
She feels under pressure and has already paid NT$18,000 to undergo self-health management at a hotel, Michelle said.
The labor ministry’s Workforce Development Agency said in a statement that migrant workers entering Taiwan are subject to the same self-health disease prevention policy as Taiwanese and other arrivals from Southeast Asia.
From Oct. 13 last year to Thursday, a total of 102,586 migrant workers entered Taiwan, which is in line with pre-pandemic levels, the statement said.
Regardless of whether they are coming to Taiwan for the first time or returning to work, all migrant workers are treated as new arrivals, and need to have a valid entry permit and address where they would undergo self-disease prevention, it said.
Discrepancies between the policies covering migrant workers and ARC holders are in the purview of the National Immigration Agency, it added.
As of the end of December, 728,081 migrant workers were in Taiwan, the labor ministry said.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as