Taiwanese pop icon Liu Wen Zheng (劉文正), who captivated the Mandarin-speaking world in the 1970s and 1980s, died in the US of a heart attack in November last year, his agent Hsia Yu-shun (夏玉順) confirmed to local Chinese-language media yesterday.
“A star has fallen and its legend will live on forever,” Hsia was quoted as saying.
Some local reports said that Liu died on the eve of his birthday, making him 69 at the time of his death.
Photo: CNA
Liu, who was born in Taipei on Nov. 12, 1952, rose to fame in 1975 with the release of his first album The Promise (諾言) and a starring role in the romantic film The Story of Four Girls (門裡門外), released nationally and in Hong Kong.
That same year, Liu took over the variety show Jin Xiu Nian Hua (錦繡年華) on Taiwan Television, launching a career as a leading entertainer in the age of state-run cable channels.
After that, Liu became the host of Liu Wen Zheng Shi Jian (劉文正時間), named after and tailored for him on China Television, which at its height reached a rating share of 82 percent, the highest for a Taiwanese show at that time.
Photo: CAN
In 1981, he performed and produced Fei Ying (飛鷹), which was the first Chinese-language music video and a commercial success.
Throughout his career, Liu acted in more than 20 romance films, and won Golden Bell awards for best leading actor in a singing role in 1980, 1982 and 1983. He also received awards for best Mandarin performance in Singapore and Malaysia.
Liu ended his contract with Hong Kong’s PolyGram Records and moved to the US in 1984, marking his retirement from singing.
He returned to Taiwan two years later and established Fei Ying Records, which represented some of the biggest talents in the nation’s music industry including Fang Wen-lin (方文琳), Annie Yi (伊能靜) and Donna Chiu (裘海正).
In 1991, Liu closed the label and returned to the US, refusing interviews, public appearances and a rumored movie deal worth close to NT$100 million (US$3.3 million).
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as