Taoyuan is considering a plan to increase childbirth subsidies by NT$10,000 for every child born to a family after its first, Taoyuan Mayor Simon Chang (張善政) said.
The policy is designed to counter a declining birthrate by encouraging young people to have a second or third child, he said earlier this month in a call for Taoyuan City Council members to support an additional budget.
The Taoyuan Department of Social Welfare was tasked with creating procedural rules to govern the subsidies program and developing a digital processing system, he said, adding that the council should approve the additional budget as soon as possible.
Photo: Lee Jung-ping, Taipei Times
Taoyuan last year had the second-highest birthrate among counties and special municipalities of a similar size, but the figure still represents a drop from the previous year, department Director Chen Pau-min (陳寶民) said.
The city’s birthrate declined over the past few years, he said, adding that 52 percent of last year’s births were comprised of firstborn babies, while second-born and third-born children accounted for 36 percent and 9 percent of births respectively.
The proposed policy is to give families a NT$30,000 subsidy for their first child, NT$40,000 for a second child and NT$50,000 for every child after that, he said.
Couples with twins or triplets would receive a NT$10,000 bonus for each additional child, he said.
The program would represent a significant increase over the current NT$30,000 subsidy for every child, NT$35,000 each for twins and NT$45,000 each for triplets, he said.
At least one of the spouses in a married couple must be a registered resident of Taoyuan and children must be born on or after Dec. 25 last year to be eligible for the subsidies, he said.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as