The Taipei Police Department yesterday stepped up patrols throughout the Taipei Mass Rapid Transit (MRT) system after a bomb threat was sent in an e-mail to Taipei MRT Corp at 7:24am, it said.
A message claiming that a bomb had been placed in the MRT was received by customer service and immediately reported to the police, the company said in a statement, adding that MRT personnel and police were working to ensure passenger safety.
Passengers should be aware of their surroundings and report suspicious activities, people or objects to station personnel by using passenger service desks or the emergency intercom units in the cars, it said.
Photo courtesy of the Taipei MRT Corp
Police launched a grid-by-grid search of the MRT system with security officers and increased patrols at platforms, washrooms, firefighting installations and other vulnerable areas, the Rapid Transit Division of the Taipei Police Department said.
A joint task force of the Criminal Investigation Bureau’s forensic science unit and prosecutors was established to investigate the matter, it said.
Police are working to increase the number of patrols and increase law enforcement presence to protect the Taipei MRT — which millions of people use every day — from those who want to spread terror or achieve infamy, it said.
MRT stations are equipped with riot shields, blast curtains and other protective equipment to handle threats to public safety, it added.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
A magnitude 4.9 earthquake struck off Tainan at 11:47am today, the Central Weather Administration (CWA) said. The hypocenter was 32.3km northeast of Tainan City Hall at a depth of 7.3km, CWA data showed. The intensity of the quake, which gauges the actual effect of a seismic event, measured 4 in Tainan and Chiayi County on Taiwan's seven-tier intensity scale, the data showed. The quake had an intensity of 3 in Chiayi City and County, and Yunlin County, while it was measured as 2 in Kaohsiung, Nantou County, Changhua County, Taitung County and offshore Penghu County, the data showed. There were no immediate reports of
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated