Formosa News and Formosa Television (FTV) were fined a combined NT$3 million (US$98,902) for airing Coco Hot News (辣新聞) host Clara Chou’s (周玉蔻) unfounded claims and revelations about the private lives of certain individuals in her program in September last year.
The NCC said it received dozens of complaints after Chou alleged that former Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) vice chairman John Chiang (蔣孝嚴), father of then-KMT Taipei mayoral candidate Chiang Wan-an (蔣萬安), had an extramarital affair with Chang Shu-chuang (張淑娟), Miss Republic of China 1988, about 20 years ago.
The commission turned the complaints over to an independent content review committee.
Photo: Pan Shao-tang, Taipei Times
NCC Deputy Chairman Wong Po-tsung (翁柏宗) said that Chou accused Chang of having an affair with John Chiang, and using special privileges to land a job at China Airlines, without first verifying the information.
“Chou disclosed the marital status of Chang and caused Chang’s privacy to be discussed in public. She also claimed that John Chiang had taken a DNA test showing he is not related to former president Chiang Ching-kuo (蔣經國), without verifying the information,” Wong said.
When discussing issues related to military dependents’ villages, Chou used derogatory and discriminatory terms to address certain groups and verbally threatened certain political candidates, which impeded rational discussions about public issues and disrupted public order, he said.
As the content was aired on Formosa TV News and FTV Taiwan from Sept. 20 to Sept. 23, the two channels received a collective fine of NT$3 million for contravening the Satellite Broadcasting Act (衛星廣播電視法), Radio and Television Act (廣電法) and Personal Data Protection Act (個人資料保護法), the commission said.
In addition, FTV chairwoman Wang Ming-yu (王明玉) was fined NT$200,000 for failing to supervise the channels’ operations as stated in the Personal Data Protection Act, it said.
Formosa News is scheduled to renew its license in August, while FTV’s terrestrial channel is to undergo a biannual evaluation this year, the commission said.
Meanwhile, Baodao Radio was fined NT$9,000 as Chou, one of its radio hosts, on June 29 threatened to bomb the Democratic Progressive Party headquarters if it did not dissociate itself from Internet celebrity Holger Chen (陳之漢), also known as Kuang Chang (館長).
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as