Kyiv has received the first batch of high-capacity generators bought with money donated by Taiwan, a Ukrainian lawmaker told reporters yesterday.
“The first generators purchased with funds from Taiwan were delivered to Kyiv. They will be used in boiler houses,” Kira Rudik, leader of the Holos Party, said in a text message.
Kyiv Mayor Vitali Klitschko on Monday told Ukrainian media that the first batch of two generators had already been transferred to municipal utility Kievteploenergo to use in boilers and heating stations.
Photo from the Kyiv City Council’s Facebook page
“As part of the project, about 20 generators are expected to be transferred to power-critical infrastructure facilities in the capital,” Klitschko said, expressing gratitude to “partners around the world” for supporting his city and Ukraine as a whole.
The generators are being purchased with a US$1 million donation Taiwan made to Kyiv last month to help overcome widespread power outages blamed on Russian airstrikes on critical infrastructure.
Ministry of Foreign Affairs spokeswoman Joanne Ou (歐江安) said that the donation was confirmed on Dec. 7 with the signing of a memorandum of understanding between Minister of Foreign Affairs Joseph Wu (吳釗燮), Klitschko and Grygorii Malenko, executive director of Kyiv-based charitable fund Darnychany.
When the agreement was signed, the ministry said that the funds would be allocated to procure electricity generation equipment, including diesel and gasoline generators, to “help the more than 3 million Kyiv residents suffering from electricity shortages survive the severe winter.”
Aside from Kyiv, Ou said that the government was planning another US$2 million donation to help other frontline cities in Ukraine purchase badly needed high-capacity generators to help them survive the winter.
The ministry would make public more details of such upcoming donations soon, she said.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
A magnitude 4.9 earthquake struck off Tainan at 11:47am today, the Central Weather Administration (CWA) said. The hypocenter was 32.3km northeast of Tainan City Hall at a depth of 7.3km, CWA data showed. The intensity of the quake, which gauges the actual effect of a seismic event, measured 4 in Tainan and Chiayi County on Taiwan's seven-tier intensity scale, the data showed. The quake had an intensity of 3 in Chiayi City and County, and Yunlin County, while it was measured as 2 in Kaohsiung, Nantou County, Changhua County, Taitung County and offshore Penghu County, the data showed. There were no immediate reports of
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated