Surplus national tax revenue is to be used to close financing gaps in the Labor Insurance and National Health Insurance funds, subsidize electricity prices and fund a series of initiatives to help weather potential dramatic changes in global economy this year, President Tsai Ing-wen (蔡英文) said in her New Year address at the Presidential Office in Taipei yesterday.
“We will consider sharing excess tax revenue with all citizens only when it is within our fiscal capacity to do so,” Tsai said.
Lawmakers from the Democratic Progressive Party and Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) have urged the government to return the surplus tax revenue to the public.
Photo courtesy of the Association of Taipei Photojournalists
“I understand that some have proposed that excess tax revenue be equally shared among our people, which would surely make everybody happy,” Tsai said.
“However, as a responsible government, we need to plan ahead when the global economy is fraught with a high level of uncertainty,” she said. “We should prioritize the distribution of valuable resources to individuals and industries at risk to maintain the resilience of the country in times of crisis.”
“This is not an easy decision, but we must do it for our country. We hope that people understand and support this decision,” she added.
The Ministry of Finance estimated that last year’s national tax revenue is expected to exceed the budget by NT$450 billion (US$14.65 million), of which NT$70 billion is to be used to fund the operations of local governments, Tsai said.
Of the remaining NT$380 billion in tax revenue, NT$100 billion is to be allocated to electricity price subsidies and closing the funding gap in the Labor Insurance and National Health Insurance funds, she said.
Another NT$100 billion is to be used to fund government initiatives to withstand potential global economic changes this year, she said.
The initiatives include increasing the housing supply and offering subsidies for renters and those who are on home loans; subsidizing public transport commuters; subsidizing families who are in the middle and low-income range; reinforcing agricultural and fishery infrastructure; attracting 6 million international tourists this year; sustaining stable prices of food and daily necessities; and helping upgrade small and medium-sized industries nationwide, she said, citing decisions made at a National Security Council meeting on Saturday.
Whether this means the government is unlikely to distribute cash or vouchers using the remaining surplus tax revenue as it did in 2020 and last year, Tsai said that closing the financing gap of the Labor Insurance Fund and maintaining stable retail prices are also ways to return tax revenue to the public.
The global economy is likely to be worse than expected this year, and there remains a high level of uncertainty, she said.
“The rest of the tax revenue — NT$180 billion — could enable us to fund subsequent economic stimulus plans. We need to use the money cautiously in case emergency situations occur,” she said.
Tsai said the Presidential Office and the Executive Yuan are together consulting the private sector on the development of six core strategic industries: national defense, war readiness, precision healthcare, renewable energy, cybersecurity, and semiconductor and information technology.
Stability of the Indo-Pacific region is also threatened, she said.
A plan she introduced last week to bolster national defense would enhance Taiwan’s defense through a comprehensive adjustment of the defense systems and by raising the quality and quantity of military training for conscripts, she said.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as