A YouTuber and his assistant have been ordered to pay NT$1 million (US$32,548) to each of two women whose likenesses they used in deepfake pornography videos, one of whom was Kaohsiung City Councilor Huang Jie (黃捷).
Chu Yu-chen (朱玉宸), who goes by Xiaoyu (小玉) on YouTube, was arrested in October last year on suspicion of creating and selling deepfake pornography videos of dozens of politicians and influencers, accumulating more than NT$13 million in illicit profits.
In July, the New Taipei City District Court sentenced Chu to five years and six months in prison and his assistant, Chuang Hsin-jui (莊炘睿), to three years and eight months for contravening the Personal Data Protection Act (個人資料保護法).
Photo provided by Huang Jie’s office
Prosecutors have appealed the ruling on the grounds that the sentences are too light.
The verdicts in two of 21 civil lawsuits also filed in July by Chu and Chuang’s victims were made public on Monday. The complainants were Huang and an unidentified female flight attendant.
In its ruling, the New Taipei District Court said that in today’s Internet-based society, it is nearly impossible to expunge content that has been shared online.
Photo: CNA
As a result, Chu and Chuang’s victims would continue to be haunted by the misuse of their likenesses for decades, along with harm to their reputations, it said.
Perpetrators of “digital sexual violence” such as Chu and Chuang can often only be prosecuted for contravening the Personal Data Protection Act, the court said.
Due to a lack of legal tools with regard to holding the owners of platforms and sites that disseminate such content accountable, the threat of a civil lawsuit is often the only legal deterrent that potential victims have at their disposal, the court said in its verdict.
Huang thanked the court for serving justice and bringing “some measure of comfort” to the two.
“However, the more pressing issue is still the passage of a digital sexual violence law” in Taiwan, with provisions on preventing and punishing such crimes, and a mechanism for removing the offending content from the Internet, she said.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Taiwan People’s Party (TPP) Chairman Huang Kuo-chang (黃國昌) yesterday appealed to the authorities to release former Taipei mayor Ko Wen-je (柯文哲) from pretrial detention amid conflicting reports about his health. The TPP at a news conference on Thursday said that Ko should be released to a hospital for treatment, adding that he has blood in his urine and had spells of pain and nausea followed by vomiting over the past three months. Hsieh Yen-yau (謝炎堯), a retired professor of internal medicine and Ko’s former teacher, said that Ko’s symptoms aligned with gallstones, kidney inflammation and potentially dangerous heart conditions. Ko, charged with