Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) Taipei mayor-elect Chiang Wan-an (蔣萬安) yesterday released a list of 10 city government appointees to join him when he takes office, including former Kaohsiung deputy mayor Lee Ssu-chuan (李四川) as a deputy mayor.
Lee, who was also previously a New Taipei City deputy mayor and had worked in the Taipei City Government for 25 years, would be joined by Lee Tai-hsin (李泰興) as secretary-general and Chang Wen-te (張溫德) as deputy secretary-general.
Lee Tai-hsin (李泰興) is the director of the New Taipei City Finance Department and a former Taiwan International Ports Corp president. Chang is a former director of the New Taipei City Urban Redevelopment Office.
Photo: Tien Yu-hua, Taipei Times
Taipei Department of Urban Development Deputy Commissioner Wang Yu-fen (王玉芬) is to be promoted to commissioner, becoming the first female commissioner of the department.
Hsieh Ming-hung (謝銘鴻) is to be appointed commissioner of the Taipei Department of Transportation, while Wu Sheng-chung (吳盛忠) would be commissioner of the Taipei Department of Environmental Protection and former KMT Taipei City councilor Chen Yung-te (陳永德) would be Taipei Department of Civil Affairs commissioner, the list showed.
Cheng De-fa (鄭德發) is to be head of the Taipei Department of Rapid Transit Systems, while Taipei Public Works Department Deputy Director Huang Yi-ping (黃一平) is to become director and Chen Hsin-liang (陳信良) is to be the Taipei Department of Land Administration commissioner, it showed.
Chiang’s office said the list was designed to ensure officials in his administration can “roll up their sleeves” and get to work immediately after taking office.
In addition to people skilled in public affairs, the office said he targeted people with experience in Taipei and New Taipei City, local and national government, and city governments and city councils to promote governmental cooperation.
Asked about the list, outgoing Taipei Mayor Ko Wen-je (柯文哲) said that Chiang’s “style is similar to mine, appointing many senior civil servants that have mostly served in the Taipei City Government.”
“The good part about it is that they are familiar with administrative operations, so I think he will have an easier time taking up the job,” Ko said.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as