Fewer Hong Kongers were granted resident status in Taiwan this year as the government increased scrutiny of applicants using loopholes in the investment immigration scheme to gain residency without making investments.
An increasing number of Hong Kongers emigrated after the introduction of Hong Kong’s National Security Law in 2020, and many chose Taiwan as a destination.
The National Immigration Agency’s (NIA) statistics show that a record 11,173 Hong Kongers received resident status, and 1,685 received permanent resident cards last year.
Photo: Reuters
However, from January to October this year, 7,211 and 1,127 Hong Kongers received resident and permanent resident status respectively, down by 404 and 289 respectively compared with the same period last year, the statistics show.
An agency official on Sunday said on condition of anonymity that NIA officials found during immigration interviews that some applicants were unable to explain their motivation for investing in Taiwan or demonstrate any results from their ventures.
Investigations showed that some import and export documents used in such applications were falsified, their companies had no turnover or no employees were hired, the person said.
It became evident that immigration firms were helping their clients establish several companies registered at one address, with the firms purchasing goods from each other to create transaction records for immigration reviews, the person said.
The transactions were sometimes for family expenditures such as daily goods or Costco orders, which were put on a company’s balance sheet, the source said.
The investment immigration scheme requires foreigners to invest at least NT$6 million (US$197,012) in a company, guarantee its operation for at least three years and hire at least two Taiwanese employees. After one year, the applicant is eligible to apply for permanent residency.
Suspicious investments were put under NIA observation for one year, and residency was rescinded for investments found to be for non-business activity, the person said.
Many immigration firms made guarantees of success to potential applicants to attract their business, the source said.
When clients asked why their applications were denied, these firms would blame vague government review criteria, the official said.
Asked whether the review process for Hong Kongers is especially strict, the official said that the NT$6 million threshold is one of the lowest in the world, and should not be considered strict for those who want to legitimately invest, the official said, adding that the government’s Hong Kong support policy has not changed.
Hong Kongers interested in immigrating through the investment scheme can contact the Taiwan-Hong Kong Service and Exchange Office for advice and instruction, the person said.
The NIA should evaluate such firms to prioritize applications from reputable immigration agents, the official added.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
A magnitude 4.9 earthquake struck off Tainan at 11:47am today, the Central Weather Administration (CWA) said. The hypocenter was 32.3km northeast of Tainan City Hall at a depth of 7.3km, CWA data showed. The intensity of the quake, which gauges the actual effect of a seismic event, measured 4 in Tainan and Chiayi County on Taiwan's seven-tier intensity scale, the data showed. The quake had an intensity of 3 in Chiayi City and County, and Yunlin County, while it was measured as 2 in Kaohsiung, Nantou County, Changhua County, Taitung County and offshore Penghu County, the data showed. There were no immediate reports of
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated