A former official of the Taipei Mortuary Services Office and a technician on Thursday were found guilty of bribery and collusion by the Taipei District Court.
The court handed former Burial and Cemetery Management Section chief Ou Yang Keng-sheng (歐陽更生) a 14-month sentence, and section technician Sun Pei-jen (孫佩仁) 16 months for forgery and abuse of authority for personal profit.
They were among more than a dozen mortuary staff who were investigated and indicted in July following a judicial probe into allegations of bribery and corruption at the Taipei City Government office.
Photo: Chien Li-chung, Taipei Times
Six other staff and technicians, plus seven contractors, have yet to be sentenced following an indictment in July for accepting bribes since 2019.
Among those investigated were Taipei Mortuary Services Office deputy director Wang Wen-hsiu (王文秀), who prosecutors allege took bribes from companies that conducted business at Taipei’s two public funeral parlors. She was placed in judicial detention yesterday.
Prosecutors said that Wang in 2020 and last year accepted bribes amounting to several million New Taiwan dollars in return for leaking government tender details to several bidding contractors.
Prosecutors said that Wang allegedly helped the companies win bids for constructing the mortuary office’s Life Memorial Hall and expanding a parking lot at the Taipei City Second Funeral Parlor, among other projects.
While investigating officials and technicians earlier this year, prosecutors said they discovered communication between Wang and bidders that allegedly showed collusion.
Seven people were detained for questioning on Tuesday.
The Taipei Mortuary Services Office oversees the city’s two public funeral parlors, providing burial and cremation services, in addition to administering facilities and regulating the funeral industry.
The investigation follows other scandals and public complaints regarding the mortuary offices in Taipei and other regions.
Rival companies have reportedly fought for territory, at times involving firearms incidents.
Kuo Hsien-hung (郭憲鴻), a well-known industry figure, once said that many funeral businesses in Taiwan are run by criminal organizations.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
A magnitude 4.9 earthquake struck off Tainan at 11:47am today, the Central Weather Administration (CWA) said. The hypocenter was 32.3km northeast of Tainan City Hall at a depth of 7.3km, CWA data showed. The intensity of the quake, which gauges the actual effect of a seismic event, measured 4 in Tainan and Chiayi County on Taiwan's seven-tier intensity scale, the data showed. The quake had an intensity of 3 in Chiayi City and County, and Yunlin County, while it was measured as 2 in Kaohsiung, Nantou County, Changhua County, Taitung County and offshore Penghu County, the data showed. There were no immediate reports of
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated