Widespread protests against China’s strict “zero COVID” policy and demanding political freedoms reflect public anger over Chinese President Xi Jinping’s (習近平) iron grip on power, some overseas Chinese activists said.
Protests have broken out throughout China, and students and other residents have joined the “blank paper movement” in dozens of places after COVID-19 restrictions reportedly delayed rescue efforts in a deadly fire on Thursday last week in Urumqi, Xinjiang, leading to 10 deaths and nine injuries.
Holding up blank sheets of paper has become a metaphor for speech censorship among Chinese.
Photo: Reuters
Han Wu (韓武), a US-based official of the China Democracy Party, which is banned by Beijing, said in Taipei on Tuesday that the protests were instigated by the Communist Youth League (CYL) faction known as tuanpai (團派), in response to Xi’s dominance of the 20th National Congress of the Chinese Communist Party (CCP).
Han said that Xi, after securing a third term as head of the CCP at the party congress in October, removed top officials of the CYL who he considered a threat — Premier Li Keqiang (李克強), Chinese People’s Political Consultative Conference Chairman Wang Yang (汪洋) and Second Vice Premier Hu Chunhua (胡春華).
Subsequently stacking China’s leadership ranks with loyalists was “met with opposition within the CCP and Chinese society,” said Han, who traveled to Taiwan to observe Saturday’s local elections.
University of Western Australia associate professor Jie Chen (陳杰) said he was surprised to see that the demonstrations went beyond COVID-19 restrictions as protestors chanted slogans to demand “democracy, the rule of law, freedom and the right to vote.”
The bold acts have defied a stereotype of the post-1990’s generation being more obedient, having been raised in an education system that stresses nationalism and party loyalty to the CCP, said Chen, who left for Australia to study in 1989.
For a leader such as Xi, who did not hesitate to use force to quell protests in Hong Kong — even at the cost of damaging the its status as an international financial center — there is no reason for optimism that Xi might yield to activist demands, Chen said.
Nonetheless, the protestors have ignited a light of hope for reform in China, he said.
Many people have also taken to WeChat, the main social media space in China, to counter a claim by Chinese authorities that the protests were linked to “foreign forces,” Chen said.
Protesters have questioned how foreign forces could be involved in the protests given China’s censored Internet, the risks of using a virtual private network and restrictions on international travel, Chen said.
Sheng Xue (盛雪), a participant in the Tiananmen Square movement in the late 1980s, said the uprising against COVID-19 restrictions represented a buildup of public anger over time driven by the CCP’s tightening control over society.
After decades of economic growth, China has been able to use a variety of technologies to carry out mass surveillance, turning society into a “big prison” in which people struggle to live normal lives with dignity, autonomy and privacy, said Sheng, who now resides in Canada.
Public fury bottled up for decades was “bound to explode when the time came,” and was sparked by a deadly fire in Urumqi that many people believed the authorities were responsible for, Sheng said.
Chinese protesters have called on Taiwan and the international community to voice support for the “blank paper movement” in China and to urge Chinese authorities to reform national policies.
China’s rights advocates view Taiwan as model for a Chinese transition to democracy, as Taiwan discredits Beijing’s argument that public involvement in governance is incompatible with Chinese culture, Chen said, adding that this highlights the importance of Taiwan voicing support for the movement.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as