The National Science and Technology Council (NSTC) yesterday outlined its spending plan for next year, with funding for the National Space Organization (NSPO) and experimental schools affiliated with the country’s science parks included in the proposed NT$54.54 billion (US$1.71 billion) budget.
The council, formerly the Ministry of Science and Technology, said it plans to increase spending next year by NT$7.06 billion to boost Taiwan’s development of cutting-edge technologies, including artificial intelligence, advanced semiconductors and 6G.
NSTC Minister Wu Tsung-tsong (吳政忠) reported on the council’s budget for next year at a meeting of the legislature’s Education and Culture Committee.
The extra NT$7.06 billion planned for next year’s budget would go to the National Science and Technology Development Fund (NT$2.24 billion), subsidies for the NSPO (NT$2.76 billion) and funding for establishing and maintaining experimental secondary schools in the nation’s four science parks, Wu said.
The NSTC had decreased the National Science and Technology Development Fund’s allocation by NT$1.6 billion to NT$43.1 billion as projects had been completed, he said.
The ministry has earmarked NT$16.2 billion of its science park operation fund, in addition to a rolling budget for maintaining fixed assets totaling NT$40 billion, Wu said.
The operation fund would acquire land to establish and expand science parks, and maintain affiliated experimental schools, he added.
The NSPO, soon to become a directly affiliated agency of the NTSC, is in the final stages of testing the country’s first domestically built weather satellite, Triton, with its launch planned for early next year, Wu said.
The NSTC has tasked those working on the Triton project with testing 10 domestically developed key technologies and components, he said.
The agency would propose a plan by the end of this year for achieving net zero carbon emissions in Taiwan by 2050, Wu said, adding that it also plans to establish a national artificial intelligence center and an information security technology research center.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
A wild live dugong was found in Taiwan for the first time in 88 years, after it was accidentally caught by a fisher’s net on Tuesday in Yilan County’s Fenniaolin (粉鳥林). This is the first sighting of the species in Taiwan since 1937, having already been considered “extinct” in the country and considered as “vulnerable” by the International Union for Conservation of Nature. A fisher surnamed Chen (陳) went to Fenniaolin to collect the fish in his netting, but instead caught a 3m long, 500kg dugong. The fisher released the animal back into the wild, not realizing it was an endangered species at
The High Prosecutors’ Office yesterday withdrew an appeal against the acquittal of a former bank manager 22 years after his death, marking Taiwan’s first instance of prosecutors rendering posthumous justice to a wrongfully convicted defendant. Chu Ching-en (諸慶恩) — formerly a manager at the Taipei branch of BNP Paribas — was in 1999 accused by Weng Mao-chung (翁茂鍾), then-president of Chia Her Industrial Co, of forging a request for a fixed deposit of US$10 million by I-Hwa Industrial Co, a subsidiary of Chia Her, which was used as collateral. Chu was ruled not guilty in the first trial, but was found guilty
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy