The National Palace Museum (NPM) should fully disclose investigation reports and security videos regarding damage to three artifacts dating to the Ming and Qing dynasties, the New Power Party (NPP) caucus said yesterday.
It should also improve the procedures on how historic artifacts are managed and preserved, the party said.
Museum staff cleaning a storeroom on Feb. 3 last year discovered that a Ming Dynasty-era stem bowl with incised decorations of two dragons had been damaged, NPP Chairwoman Chen Jiau-hua (陳椒華) said, citing a report the museum submitted to the legislature on Monday.
Photo: Tu Chien-jung, Taipei Times
The bowl was damaged some time between a major inventory check on March 2, 2012, and Feb. 3 last year, she said, citing the report.
“However, we received a tip that the stem bowl was broken because of an error by museum staff,” Chen said.
“Museum Director Wu Mi-cha (吳密察) imposed a gag order on this matter and ordered that all relevant documents be handled as confidential information,” Chen added.
“Footage recorded by the museum’s security cameras is not sufficient to ascertain whether the damage was due to human error,” she added.
“Therefore, the museum should turn over all of the footage on the surveillance system to lawmakers so that we can know the truth, provided that it is done in ways that does not invade the privacy of museum staff and compromise the security of the storeroom,” Chen said.
Wu on Friday said the museum has completed its investigations into the damage to the stem bowl as well as a yellow porcelain bowl made during the Kangsi era of the Qing Dynasty, which were found to have been broken when museum staff opened their boxes.
It has yet to complete an investigation into a porcelain dish from the Qianlong era of the Qing Dynasty, which he said was broken by museum staff.
Although Wu denied the museum deliberately concealed the incidents from the public, Chen said the museum released two of the investigation reports only due to public pressure.
The museum should release the investigation into the third damaged artifact as soon as possible and inform the public the criteria it used to list certain information as “classified,” Chen said.
“It should not give the public the impression that it listed certain materials as classified because it wanted to hide them from the public, and only declassified them when it could no longer withstand public pressure,” she added.
The incidents also exposed shortcomings in the procedures that the museum uses to report and handle damaged artifacts, Chen said.
“The museum is only required to notify the Ministry of Culture if damaged artifacts are classified as national treasures or important cultural artifacts,” she said.
“However, many of the 700,000 artifacts owned by the museum are neither classified as national treasures nor important cultural artifacts. Should there not be a mechanism to report damage to other artifacts as well?” she said.
The museum’s operational guidelines only stipulate how artifacts should be managed and preserved, and lack a mechanism to report, verify and investigate when an artifact is damaged, destroyed or lost, and explain the incident to the public, she said.
NPP Legislator Claire Wang (王婉諭), who serves on the legislature’s Education and Culture Committee, visited the museum on Monday and requested access to the investigation reports.
“Footage recorded by the surveillance system shows a chaotic work area, with researchers, employees and mechanics all gathered at the same spot,” Wang said.
“They were responsible for different tasks, but you could not tell who was in charge of what simply by looking at the video. This is probably why human errors occurred,” Wang said.
The museum should stipulate standard operating procedures for museum staff working in storerooms, which could reduce the chances of them damaging artifacts, she said.
An online system should be created to allow museum staff to report artifacts that need to be repaired or restored, she added.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
A magnitude 4.9 earthquake struck off Tainan at 11:47am today, the Central Weather Administration (CWA) said. The hypocenter was 32.3km northeast of Tainan City Hall at a depth of 7.3km, CWA data showed. The intensity of the quake, which gauges the actual effect of a seismic event, measured 4 in Tainan and Chiayi County on Taiwan's seven-tier intensity scale, the data showed. The quake had an intensity of 3 in Chiayi City and County, and Yunlin County, while it was measured as 2 in Kaohsiung, Nantou County, Changhua County, Taitung County and offshore Penghu County, the data showed. There were no immediate reports of
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated