Taipei city councilors yesterday asked Taipei Mayor Ko Wen-je (柯文哲) and former deputy mayor Vivian Huang (黃珊珊) to apologize to city residents for spending up to NT$106 million (US$3.3 million) on this year’s Taipei Expo, while avoiding a city council review.
The Taipei City Government held the event at the Taipei Expo Park from Aug. 27 to Sept. 11.
City councilors in August criticized the Ko administration for using the city’s second reserve fund — about NT$29.6 million from last year and about NT$49 million from this year — to host the event, seemingly to avoid a requirement that an expenditure of NT$50 million or more be approved by the city council.
Photo: CNA
Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) Taipei City Councilor Wu Pei-yi (吳沛憶) on Sunday wrote on Facebook that a Taipei Department of Government Ethics report revealed that in addition to tapping into the second reserve fund, the city government used about NT$12.62 million from 15 city departments on the expo.
Wu, along with DPP Legislator Rosalia Wu (吳思瑤) and Taipei City Councilor Chien Shu-pei (簡舒培), yesterday told a news conference in Taipei that Ko’s administration has poor financial discipline, and questioned whether Huang had ordered city departments to organize the expo.
About 105,000 people attended the 12-day event, which was originally to cost about NT$86.1 million, but a city councilor later discovered that the true budget was hidden among the operational budgets of departments and the total cost was as much as NT$169.4 million, Rosalia Wu said.
This year’s Keelung City Expo cost NT$40 million and attracted more than 1 million attendees over 10 days, she said, adding that the Keelung City Government had proposed the budget in the previous year and it passed a city council review.
Wu Pei-yi said the Department of Government Ethics’ report showed that money for the Taipei Expo came from the city’s first and second reserve funds, the annual operational budgets of 15 departments and a special budget to build a new MRT line.
At the news conference, Chien showed a photograph of a note allegedly written by Huang on Oct. 4 last year, instructing a department to use NT$9 million from the city’s second reserve fund for the expo at the direction of the mayor.
Chien asked why Huang skipped the budget allocation review.
She also called the expo a “graduation ceremony” for Ko and a “red carpet” for Huang, who in late August resigned as deputy mayor to run for Taipei mayor as an independent candidate, with Ko’s endorsement.
Huang yesterday said that she wrote the note, but that the instructions were based on prior discussions and made at the direction of Ko.
Formal documents were signed afterward, so the procedure could stand up to scrutiny by the National Audit Office, she added.
The second reserve fund was used because the expo was based on a new city plan formulated after the annual operational budget was allocated, she said.
Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) Legislator and Taipei mayoral candidate Chiang Wan-an (蔣萬安) said that city expos should enhance residents’ sense of identity and pride, but Ko’s administration rushed the event, without comprehensive planning, and held it for the sake of hosting it, as if lighting a firework.
He urged Ko and Huang to respond to questions about moving money from the budgets of city departments for the expo.
A magnitude 4.9 earthquake struck off Tainan at 11:47am today, the Central Weather Administration (CWA) said. The hypocenter was 32.3km northeast of Tainan City Hall at a depth of 7.3km, CWA data showed. The intensity of the quake, which gauges the actual effect of a seismic event, measured 4 in Tainan and Chiayi County on Taiwan's seven-tier intensity scale, the data showed. The quake had an intensity of 3 in Chiayi City and County, and Yunlin County, while it was measured as 2 in Kaohsiung, Nantou County, Changhua County, Taitung County and offshore Penghu County, the data showed. There were no immediate reports of
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated