Canadian lawmaker Judy Sgro said on Friday that people “should not be intimidated by outside sources” after China publicly rebuked the parliamentarian for visiting Taiwan.
The Chinese embassy in Canada said via a statement that the visit to Taiwan by a parliamentary delegation led by Sgro from Sunday last week to Friday “blatantly violates the one-China principle” and “grossly interferes in China’s internal affairs,” the Globe and Mail reported.
The statement, which was provided to the Canadian daily on Thursday, said that China would “continue to take resolute and strong measures to defend its national sovereignty and territorial integrity, and oppose the interference by external forces in China’s internal affairs.”
Photo: CNA
Sgro on Friday said that pressure from China would not prevent her and other lawmakers from visiting Taiwan.
“I think people should be encouraged to visit Taiwan. You have so much to offer, and the world needs to know more about Taiwan. People need to be encouraged to come and have a positive experience, and should not be intimidated by outside sources,” Sgro said.
Sgro, who is chairwoman of the Canadian parliament’s Standing Committee on International Trade and head of the Canada-Taiwan parliamentary friendship group, arrived in Taiwan with a delegation that included Canadian lawmakers Angelo Iacono, Simon-Pierre Savard-Tremblay, Richard Martel and Chris Lewis.
The five-member group was the latest in a series of international delegations from the US, France, Germany and Japan to visit Taiwan since early August.
Sgro said the delegation visited to seek opportunities for economic and investment cooperation between Canada and Taiwan.
The group met with Taiwanese officials and representatives from technology giants such as Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co, the world’s largest contract chipmaker.
Sgro and other Canadian lawmakers urged their government to begin a foreign investment promotion and protection arrangement with Taiwan, with talks on the so-called FIPA continuing.
Sgro said the delegation would “use our voices as parliamentarians” after returning to Canada.
“We will go back to Canada with a very positive message ... about the opportunities there are for Canada and Taiwan to continue to strengthen their relationship,” she said.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
A wild live dugong was found in Taiwan for the first time in 88 years, after it was accidentally caught by a fisher’s net on Tuesday in Yilan County’s Fenniaolin (粉鳥林). This is the first sighting of the species in Taiwan since 1937, having already been considered “extinct” in the country and considered as “vulnerable” by the International Union for Conservation of Nature. A fisher surnamed Chen (陳) went to Fenniaolin to collect the fish in his netting, but instead caught a 3m long, 500kg dugong. The fisher released the animal back into the wild, not realizing it was an endangered species at
The High Prosecutors’ Office yesterday withdrew an appeal against the acquittal of a former bank manager 22 years after his death, marking Taiwan’s first instance of prosecutors rendering posthumous justice to a wrongfully convicted defendant. Chu Ching-en (諸慶恩) — formerly a manager at the Taipei branch of BNP Paribas — was in 1999 accused by Weng Mao-chung (翁茂鍾), then-president of Chia Her Industrial Co, of forging a request for a fixed deposit of US$10 million by I-Hwa Industrial Co, a subsidiary of Chia Her, which was used as collateral. Chu was ruled not guilty in the first trial, but was found guilty
DEADLOCK: As the commission is unable to forum a quorum to review license renewal applications, the channel operators are not at fault and can air past their license date The National Communications Commission (NCC) yesterday said that the Public Television Service (PTS) and 36 other television and radio broadcasters could continue airing, despite the commission’s inability to meet a quorum to review their license renewal applications. The licenses of PTS and the other channels are set to expire between this month and June. The National Communications Commission Organization Act (國家通訊傳播委員會組織法) stipulates that the commission must meet the mandated quorum of four to hold a valid meeting. The seven-member commission currently has only three commissioners. “We have informed the channel operators of the progress we have made in reviewing their license renewal applications, and