Taipei Mayor Ko Wen-je (柯文哲), who is also Taiwan People’s Party (TPP) chairman, yesterday said that TPP Legislator Tsai Pi-ru’s (蔡壁如) resignation on Friday would not affect the party’s election campaigns.
Takming University of Science and Technology on Thursday revoked Tsai’s master’s degree after its research ethics committee determined that her thesis included plagiarized material.
Tsai on Friday announced her resignation on Facebook, with the title “in pursuit of Taiwan’s justice and innocence.”
Photo: CNA
She resigned to be politically and publicly responsible, not because there are flaws in her thesis, Tsai wrote.
She said she would ask the university to respond with a report detailing the specific flaws in her thesis, and would appeal the case to the Ministry of Education, Tsai wrote.
Ko said that he has known Tsai for 30 years and she is “a diligent and responsible person who has guts.”
Her resignation is unlikely to affect the TPP’s election campaigns, as it was dealt with swiftly and responsibly, he said.
The party’s members are young and well-educated, rational intellectuals, he added.
The TPP, including Ko and Tsai, had strongly criticized former Hsinchu mayor Lin Chih-chien (林智堅), who was running for Taoyuan mayor as a Democratic Progressive Party candidate when he was accused of plagiarism, which led to his exit from the race during the summer.
There was speculation that Tsai was forced to resign by TPP members to prevent accusations of hypocrisy.
Ko said that Tsai received an e-mail from the university on Thursday informing her that her master’s degree had been revoked, and he met with her in the evening to clarify the situation.
Tsai had asked if she should resign immediately, but he told her that she should wait until she receives a review, Ko said, adding that even after contacting the university, Tsai had not received a review by Friday evening.
Ko said that in a telephone call with Tsai that evening, he told her: “If the review is not out yet, you can stop the bleeding by resigning and seek relief later.”
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as