A months-long investigation into a suspected sexual predator has yielded a large volume of computer files and videos of hundreds of victims aged 10 to 70, Tainan police said yesterday.
Before his arrest in August, the 41-year-old suspect, surnamed Chang (張), was working as a video editor and photographer for a commercial ad agency, police said.
Chang had since 2017 used fake names on video-chatting sites and social media apps to lure women by offering them “modeling jobs,” which turned out to be naked photo and video sessions, they said.
After receiving tip-offs, policed tracked down Chang’s IP address and monitored his online activities before conducting a raid in August and apprehending him at his residence in Taoyuan.
The investigation is ongoing, and Chang is under judicial detention as he is facing pending charges of violating personal privacy and breaches of the Child and Youth Sexual Exploitation Prevention Act (兒童及少年性剝削防制條例), along with fraud, blackmail, coercion and offenses against sexual morality (妨害風化罪), for allegedly distributing and selling sexually explicit videos online for profit.
One complaint came from woman in Tainan earlier this year, who said she was invited for a photography session with the promise of a modeling job.
During a live chat, the woman said Chang asked her to undress. Feeling that something was wrong, she reported the incident to local authorities, prompting police investigators and prosecutors to start an investigation.
Tainan police officials this past week put out a public message for other victims to come forward, saying they have only found five people who are willing to testify and present evidence against Chang.
“We ask victims to contact and help us with the investigation. We shall ensure that your name and personal information are protected, and that videos and photographs of victims will be kept out of the public eye. Your assistance is needed for justice to be served through the conviction of the offender and to help other victims,” officials said.
The case has been compared to the “Nth Room” blackmail and cybersex trafficking case in South Korea from 2018 to 2020, in which several suspects used chat sites and social media apps to record and sell sexually explicit videos online. Three main offenders were sentenced to 30 to 40 years in prison.
Investigators alleged that Chang had posed online as a woman, a female photographer or an ad agency manager. Using his knowledge at work, he would tell his prospective targets about ad agencies looking for models, offering them up to NT$3,500 per hour, asking them detailed personal information and telling them to undress when their guard was down while he recorded them.
If the woman hesitated, he would blackmail or threaten to circulate the videos to their school, family and friends, and post them on Facebook for public viewing, police said.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as