The government would investigate reports that Atomic Energy Council Minister Hsieh Shou-shing (謝曉星) verbally and physically harassed female staff, Premier Su Tseng-chang (蘇貞昌) said yesterday.
Su was responding to questions at the legislature over a Chinese-language Mirror Media article published yesterday that said Hsieh allegedly selected his assistants “like an emperor choosing concubines” and insisted that all four of them accompany him to lunch.
The article also said that Hsieh had been seen working in a cafe instead of his office, and that he had a short temper, citing an alleged incident in which a human resources department employee was transferred after an altercation with Hsieh.
Photo: Chu Pei-hsiung, Taipei Times
At a question-and-answer session at the legislature, Taiwan People’s Party Legislator Chiu Chen-yuan (邱臣遠) asked Su whether the Cabinet would launch an investigation into the allegations against Hsieh.
Chiu also urged Su to ensure that Cabinet members maintain a level of professionalism befitting a person in their position, and guarantee a safe and gender-friendly work environment.
Democratic Progressive Party legislators Fan Yun (范雲) and Lai Pin-yu (賴品妤) said that as Hsieh served as the council’s highest-ranking officer, the Cabinet should investigate the claims to uphold the rights of the alleged victims.
Although Taiwan has a long way to go in promoting a gender-friendly work environment, the government should hold itself to the highest standard, they said.
Following the article’s publication, Hsieh issued a statement through the council, saying that allegations in the article that he “often changed his assistants” were false, as there are people in that position who have worked in the office for about six years.
Regarding allegations that he was overly familiar with his assistants, Hsieh said he had developed a habit of being friendly with staff after years of working in academia, when he was often as much a teacher as a friend to his students, adding that he would be more careful to prevent further misunderstandings.
As to the article’s claim that he had a short temper, Hsieh said that although he had been known to openly rebuke colleagues and subordinates, it was because he wanted to make sure their performance lived up to their position at the council.
The alleged altercation with a human resources department employee had been a misunderstanding, he said, adding that the person had been promoted to deputy director of the department during organizational restructuring.
Hsieh also said that he was attending online courses at cafes and not doing government work.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as