Taichung Mayor Lu Shiow-yen (盧秀燕) yesterday promoted a street dance event and on Friday opened a new transportation hub, while Deputy Legislative speaker Tsai Chi-chang (蔡其昌), the Democratic Progressive Party’s (DPP) candidate for the city, outlined his policies for economic development, tourism and air pollution reduction as they ramped up their respective mayoral campaigns.
Lu of the Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is bidding for a second term, but is facing a strong challenge from Tsai, a veteran lawmaker, after they completed their candidate registration requirements ahead of the deadline on Friday last week.
Independent candidate Chen Mei-fei (陳美妃), who registered on the final day, paying the NT$1.5 million (US$48,552) election deposit, has said that she would focus on improving transportation and education in the city, while promising to subsidize household electricity bills.
Photo: CNA
Lu opened the Taichung Cup Street Dance Competition yesterday afternoon, a two-day event featuring teams from across Taiwan.
Taichung is hosting the event for the fourth year, Lu said, adding that it has delightful performances and is full of youthful energy.
She said her administration supports such talented people, who are aiming for glory at the Olympics, which has added breaking for the 2024 Paris Games.
She also presented plans to stimulate the local economy as she attended groundbreaking ceremonies for new factories in the past two days and the launch of operations at a transportation hub in Fengyuan District (豐原).
The facility next to the Fengyuan Railway Station took three years to complete and serves as a major regional bus depot, she said, adding that it has a shopping mall and public parking.
Separately, Tsai outlined his plan to boost tourism in the city’s outskirts as he visited Guguan (谷關), an area with many tourist spots in Heping District (和平).
His “Guguan 300” plan would draw 3 million people each year to the area by building bicycle paths and more pedestrian walkways, as well as by improving transportation by revamping road links and adding car parks, Tsai said.
A water park near the Dajia River (大甲溪), which runs through Guguan, is also part of the plan, he said.
New festivals and other programs would help draw people to the area’s mountains and indigenous communities, revitalizing the local economy, he said.
“This town is a gateway for tourism and development for Taichung’s mountainous areas,” he said. “It is the city’s back garden.”
“However, the current city administration has no vision, no planning for this region,” he said.
“In the past four years, local people have said that city government officials have offered no development plans for Guguan, so it is time for a change,” Tsai said.
“I have the vision and the drive to make it happen, to fulfill the Guguan 300 program,” he said.
He also said that Lu had not done anything to address Taichung’s air pollution problems, adding that they have gotten worse in past four years.
Tsai said that Lu in her previous mayoral campaign handed out “Guguan air bottle” gifts to voters, using them as a symbol of her plans to improve the city’s air quality, vowing it would be as clear as the mountain air of Guguan.
“We now know Lu’s Guguan air bottles were another of her broken campaign promises,” he said.
“I will not use bottled clean air as a stunt to fool voters,” he said. “When elected, I will implement real policies to address this issue, including an end to coal being burned at Taichung’s power plants, and phasing out polluting cars and scooters in the city.”
City government officials told reporters yesterday that Lu’s administration has mitigated air pollution, with regular sampling results showing that air quality has improved this year.
The air bottle campaign showed her determination to fight the city’s pollution problems, the officials said.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as