Uni-President Enterprises is developing for its 7-Eleven convenience stores automated carts that can ride elevators to be trialed in Kaohsiung and an automated delivery drone system to be tested in Hsinchu County.
7-Eleven Inc on Friday said it signed a memorandum of understanding with the Industrial Technology Research Institute to work with the Autonomous Mobile Robot Alliance on the cart delivery system.
The alliance, established in July last year, is a consortium of eight corporations seeking to set standards for automated technology, define robot capabilities and find solutions for cross-system collaborations for the robotics industry.
Photo courtesy of the Ministry of Economic Affairs
Uni-President said it is using its food delivery platform Foodomo to provide door-to-door delivery of goods by automated robots, adding that a trial of the carts would begin at a 7-Eleven at the Kaohsiung Software Technology Park in October.
The convenience store would serve as center of operations for the automated carts, which would deliver food and coffee directly to nearby offices.
The carts can operate indoors and outdoors, and ride elevators by themselves, the company said.
Photo courtesy of 7-Eleven Inc via CNA
Capable of carrying 24 orders per trip, the cart is expected to cut delivery overhead by 70 percent and could become a solution for providing services in a labor-starved aged society amid a declining birthrate.
Uni-President’s 7-Eleven and Cosmed stores, Foodomo and delivery company President Transnet are collaborating with Coretronic Intelligent Robotics Corp (CIRC) on an automated drone delivery system, which they are to trial in Hsinchu County in the fourth quarter.
Rural areas often have a shortage of delivery personnel and less developed infrastructure, an issue that the drone delivery service seeks to solve, 7-Eleven said.
A person can order products through Foodomo, and President Transnet would transport the goods to a CIRC drone platform to deliver products to a designated area, 7-Eleven said.
It said that the drone delivery service could relieve a shortage of goods in places where deliveries are difficult to make, while improving drone delivery technology.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as