The Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) yesterday said it would ask hospitals to increase the percentage of beds designated for COVID-19 patients in response to a rise in local cases.
Centers for Disease Control (CDC) Deputy Director-General Chuang Jen-hsiang (莊人祥), who is the CECC’s spokesman, said that 31,178 new local COVID-19 cases, 310 imported cases and 27 deaths were confirmed yesterday.
The local caseload increased by 5,083 cases, or 19.5 percent, compared with Tuesday last week, but is within the range expected by the CECC, he said.
Photo: Weng Yu-huang, Taipei Times
The most cases were reported in New Taipei City with 6,631, followed by Taipei with 3,896, Taichung with 3,761, Taoyuan with 3,138, Kaohsiung with 2,573, Tainan with 2,026, Changhua County with 1,320, and fewer than 1,000 cases each in the 15 other administrative regions, CECC data showed.
CDC Deputy Director-General Philip Lo (羅一鈞), deputy head of the CECC’s medical response division, said that as the average vacancy rate of designated COVID-19 hospital beds nationwide is at 60.1 percent, but only 37.8 percent in Taipei and New Taipei City, a meeting was held yesterday morning to discuss adjustments for COVID-19 hospital beds.
COVID-19 response hospitals would be asked to increase COVID-19 beds to at least 15 to 20 percent of their total and to at least 25 to 30 percent of those in Taipei and New Taipei City, he said.
Hospitals with more than 500 beds have reserved 5 to 10 percent of them for COVID-19 patients, but hospitals in Taipei and New Taipei City would be asked to increase that percentage to at least 10 to 15 percent, and those in Taoyuan, and Hsinchu and Miaoli counties to at least 10 percent, he said.
Among the deceased reported yesterday, 26 had chronic diseases and 17 did not have a booster shot of a COVID-19 vaccine, Lo said.
The youngest was a woman in her 30s who had iron-deficiency anemia and tested positive for COVID-19 on June 30, he said.
After she was hospitalized on July 3, doctors discovered she had metastatic cancer, and she died of septic shock on July 17.
As COVID-19 was added as the main contributing cause to her death, the case was reported and confirmed yesterday, he said.
Lo said that as the local spread of the Omicron BA.5 subvariant of SARS-CoV-2 is driving an increase in case numbers, the daily number of COVID-19 antiviral drug prescriptions have also begun to rise — to 5,174 courses prescribed yesterday, the most since July 17.
He said there is still an adequate amount of antivirals in reserve, including about 306,000 courses of Paxlovid, enough for an estimated 127 days, and 116,000 courses of molnupiravir, enough for an estimated 231 days.
The nation’s first and second booster vaccination rates among older people has reached 75.5 and 33.7 percent respectively, Chuang said.
As about 30 percent of older people are eligible for the second booster shot, but have not received it, the center is encouraging them to get one for better protection against severe illness, he said.
Despite an increase in cases, Lo said that community testing stations would not be reopened, adding that a doctor can make a COVID-19 diagnosis based on a positive result from a rapid test.
The center does not recommend going to a hospital to be tested for genome sequencing, as the treatment for the Omicron BA.2 and BA.5 subvariants are the same, and most people’s symptoms would likely have ended before the results come back, he said.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as