Three Taiwanese men were found dead in an apartment in the Cambodian capital, Phnom Penh, on Sunday, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs said yesterday.
The Taipei Economic and Cultural Office in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam, has contacted the Cambodian government to obtain more information about the deaths, the ministry said.
Taiwanese in Cambodia who need help can call the office’s emergency line at (+84) 0903-927-019, it said.
Photo: CNA
The Chinese-language Cambodia China Times has reported that the bodies had bullet wounds and that police recovered a Glock 19 pistol from the site, as well as 41 bullets.
The men are believed to be Phnom Penh residents who had criminal records, and had separately left for Cambodia in February, last month and this month, Tainan police precinct chief Chiou Sian-liang (周顯良) told a news conference.
The precinct has contacted the families of the men and is awaiting guidance from the ministry on how to proceed with the matter, Chiou said.
The ministry said it would provide assistance to the families once the identities of the men have been confirmed.
Ministry spokesperson Joanne Ou (歐江安) reiterated that Taiwan maintains a “red” travel alert — the highest on its three-level scale — for Cambodia.
Issued in November last year, the alert has not been lifted due to public security problems and the prevalence of job scams in that country, Ou said.
There have been many reports of fraud rings operating in Cambodia.
Several Taiwanese have been lured to Cambodia with promises of high-paying jobs, only to be forced to work in illegal online gambling schemes and other fraudulent businesses, she said.
Meanwhile, the Criminal Investigation Bureau said that three Taiwanese returning to Taiwan from an area of Myanmar known for human trafficking were arrested on Saturday on suspicion of being connected to a criminal ring in the Southeast Asian country.
The three individuals from “KK Park,” which has allegedly been involved in organ harvesting and sex trafficking, were found to be fugitives and might be members of a telecom extortion ring based at the park, it said.
The three were among 16 people who returned from KK Park on Saturday night after transiting in Bangkok, police said.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
A magnitude 4.9 earthquake struck off Tainan at 11:47am today, the Central Weather Administration (CWA) said. The hypocenter was 32.3km northeast of Tainan City Hall at a depth of 7.3km, CWA data showed. The intensity of the quake, which gauges the actual effect of a seismic event, measured 4 in Tainan and Chiayi County on Taiwan's seven-tier intensity scale, the data showed. The quake had an intensity of 3 in Chiayi City and County, and Yunlin County, while it was measured as 2 in Kaohsiung, Nantou County, Changhua County, Taitung County and offshore Penghu County, the data showed. There were no immediate reports of
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated