Formosat-5, the nation’s first domestically developed remote-sensing satellite, has taken more than 60,000 images since it was launched five years ago, the National Science and Technology Council said on the anniversary of its launch on Thursday.
The satellite was launched on Aug. 25, 2017, from Vandenberg Air Force Base in California by SpaceX’s Falcon 9 rocket, and began commercial operations on Sept. 21, 2018.
Since then, it has taken more than 60,000 images with a success rate of 94.87 percent, council data showed.
Photo: CNA
Formosat-5 not only established Taiwan as a capable developer of satellites and optical parts, but also helps with disaster response around the world, council Minister Wu Tsung-tsong (吳政忠) said.
In the past five years, it has provided images of areas affected by 19 domestic and 101 international disasters, council data showed.
These include major events such as the July 2019 Ridgecrest earthquakes in southern California, flooding in Kaohsiung on Aug. 6 last year and the Hunga Tonga-Hunga Ha’apai volcanic eruption in the South Pacific in January, the council said.
Through the images, countries could grasp a better understanding of the respective situation on the ground, it said.
Large-scale wind events, weather and other factors can affect the operation of reconnaissance aircraft, but satellite images can be taken immediately, the National Space Organization (NSPO) said.
The satellite also helps governments, industry and academics with ecological monitoring, Wu said.
For instance, Formosat-5 has helped countries in Central America fight Panama disease, which poses a serious threat to banana crops, the council said.
As the banana industry is crucial for diplomatic allies Guatemala, Honduras and Belize, they sought assistance from Taiwan to fight the fungus-caused disease, it said.
Researchers developed a program that can automatically identify affected areas through regular images taken by Formosat-5, enabling farmers to quickly remove threatened plants and stymie the spread, it added.
Formosat-5 set a milestone for Taiwanese space technology, the council said.
Third-party manufacturers involved in the satellite’s production have achieved the highest level of NASA’s nine-tiered technology readiness system, granting the industry a firm foothold in international markets, it added.
Formosat-5 is still in good condition, even though it has reached the end of its expected lifespan, the NSPO said.
For now, it is to remain in operation, with plans to experiment with other functions to gather data for future satellite design and maintenance, it added.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as