A senior South Korean diplomat was summoned to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Taipei in protest of Seoul’s last-minute cancelation of a virtual speech that Minister Without Portfolio Audrey Tang (唐鳳) was to make last week.
On Monday, Department of East Asian and Pacific Affairs Deputy Director-General Chang Chun-yu (張均宇) summoned Hong Soon-chang, deputy representative and acting chief of the Korean Mission in Taipei, to lodge an official protest on behalf of the government, ministry spokeswoman Joanne Ou (歐江安) said.
The mission represents South Korean interests in Taiwan in the absence of official diplomatic ties.
Photo: Lu Yi-hsuan, Taipei Times
As Taiwan’s digital minister, Tang was in September invited to speak virtually to the Global Policy Conference on the Fourth Industrial Revolution in Seoul on Thursday, Ou said.
Tang was one of four speakers to speak at an afternoon session on “Social Innovation” during the one-day event, which had in-person and virtual participants.
Tang’s address, titled “Taiwan’s Digital Social Innovation,” focused on how technology can be used to deal with the climate crisis and infectious diseases, Ou said.
However, just a few hours before the event, the organizers informed Tang that her address had been canceled, Ou said.
The organizers said the decision was made after taking into consideration “various aspects of cross-strait issues,” possibly referring to pressure from Beijing over Tang’s invitation, Ou said, citing an e-mail sent to Tang’s office.
The last-minute cancelation was “rude and inappropriate,” Ou said, which was why the ministry summoned Hong.
At the meeting, Hong promised to relay Taiwan’s grievance to his government, Ou added.
Envoy to South Korea Tang Diann-wen (唐殿文) lodged the same protest with the South Korean government in Seoul.
Taiwan, as a sovereign state, can have exchanges with international partners and would do so to enhance its cooperation with other democratic countries, Ou said.
The South Korean Presidential Committee on the Fourth Industrial Revolution, which hosted the conference, says on its Web site that it was set up in 2017 by South Korean President Moon Jae-in.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as