Following the controversy surrounding the proposed reactivation of the No. 1 reactor at the Jinshan Nuclear Power Plant in New Taipei City’s Shihmen District (石門), Atomic Energy Council (AEC) Minister Hsieh Shou-shing (謝曉星) yesterday said the probability of reactivating the long-shuttered reactor is “virtually zero.”
The reactor has been out of action since December 2014 due to the discovery of a loose handle on a fuel rod cask, and according to a resolution passed by the legislature’s Education and Culture Committee in March last year, the reactor could not be reactivated until the council makes a formal report to the legislature.
The council has not been able to deliver a report, despite five requests, because the committee has refused to arrange a session for a reactivation report.
At a meeting of the Education and Culture Committee yesterday, Hsieh said the council would not request that the legislature arrange a session for the reactivation report, but that the council might agree to deliver a report should the Ministry of Economic Affairs or Taiwan Power Co (Taipower) request it to do so.
“Under the conditions [that the committee will not arrange a session for the council and the council will not request a session], I can say that the probability of reactivating the reactor is virtually zero,” Democratic Progressive Party Legislator Huang Kuo-shu (黃國書) said.
Hsieh agreed with Huang.
“Since the reactor is scheduled to be decommissioned in two years, and since it is unlikely that a session will be arranged for the reactivation report, can it be assumed that the reactor will be automatically decommissioned [without being restarted]?” Huang asked.
“One might as well say that, because the operation of the reactor has been ceased,” Hsieh said.
Huang said that the council should consider decommissioning the reactor ahead of schedule since it is unlikely to be revived.
“The only issue during my term in office is decommissioning [nuclear power plants] and there is no issue of extending the lifespan [of nuclear plants],” Hsieh said, adding that the council has no plans to decommission nuclear power plants ahead of schedule.
Should the ministry and Taipower decide to reactivate the reactor, the council would have to launch an investigation to determine whether the reactivation might pose a safety risk, else the council could not guarantee it would be safe to restart the reactor, he said.
Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) Legislator Chiang Nai-shin (蔣乃辛) accused the council of inconsistency, saying two separate reports submitted by the council last year and last month said the reactor had been cleared to be restarted, but Hsieh was now saying the council was not sure if the facility could be safely reactivated.
“If the council’s previous reports cannot be trusted, how can subsequent reports be trusted?” Chiang asked.
Hsieh did not respond.
The committee also passed a motion to request that the council deliver a report to the legislature before the reactivation of the No. 2 reactor at the Guosheng Nuclear Power Plant in New Taipei City’s Wanli District (萬里), after a power surge burned out a protective device in the reactor’s electricity generation system last month.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
A wild live dugong was found in Taiwan for the first time in 88 years, after it was accidentally caught by a fisher’s net on Tuesday in Yilan County’s Fenniaolin (粉鳥林). This is the first sighting of the species in Taiwan since 1937, having already been considered “extinct” in the country and considered as “vulnerable” by the International Union for Conservation of Nature. A fisher surnamed Chen (陳) went to Fenniaolin to collect the fish in his netting, but instead caught a 3m long, 500kg dugong. The fisher released the animal back into the wild, not realizing it was an endangered species at
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
The High Prosecutors’ Office yesterday withdrew an appeal against the acquittal of a former bank manager 22 years after his death, marking Taiwan’s first instance of prosecutors rendering posthumous justice to a wrongfully convicted defendant. Chu Ching-en (諸慶恩) — formerly a manager at the Taipei branch of BNP Paribas — was in 1999 accused by Weng Mao-chung (翁茂鍾), then-president of Chia Her Industrial Co, of forging a request for a fixed deposit of US$10 million by I-Hwa Industrial Co, a subsidiary of Chia Her, which was used as collateral. Chu was ruled not guilty in the first trial, but was found guilty