Pundits and legislators are criticizing the Ministry of National Defense for what they described as its failure to stem a flood of military personnel leaving the service by questionable means.
Ministry officials fielded criticism and questions at a public hearing last week organized by New Power Party Legislator Hung Tzu-yung (洪慈庸), which was held to address the options for “exit strategies” for officers who want to retire or take up jobs in the civilian sector.
The issue has gained notoriety in recent weeks, with reports saying that some armed forces units have unusually high numbers of officers being treated for psychiatric disorders at military hospitals.
Legislators have called for an investigation to be launched, after it was alleged that many of those claiming mental-health issues were faking their symptoms to gain a doctor’s diagnosis that would enable them to quit or retire, with senior officers able to draw large pensions.
In one case, a naval officer surnamed Yang (楊) received NT$500,000 in pension, NT$500,000 from a medical insurance he had paid for just prior to developing the alleged illness and a daily hospital allowance of between NT$2,000 and NT$4,000, all the while collecting his monthly salary, reports said.
In another alleged scam, a company commander and his deputy commander at the 66th Marine Brigade in Taoyuan were admitted to the psychiatric ward at the Tri-Service General Hospital’s Beitou Branch in Taipei, which is also known as the 818th Military Hospital.
According to information provided by Hung’s office, from 2012 to April this year, a total of 829 military officers either left the service or were approved for retirement. Of these, 661 — just under 80 percent — were released after being treated for psychiatric disorders at military hospitals.
Hung said her office has received numerous reports from soldiers — and their parents — that they were unable to adapt to military life, saying they would like to leave, but the current system does not allow them to, as they must fulfill their service-year requirements after having first signed up for the volunteer force and then becoming professional soldiers.
Others were concerned over debts they would incur if they did not complete their publicly funded military school program.
Political pundit and media personality Hector Kang (康仁俊) said that this medical scam has been going on for some time, because some soldiers cannot endure the strict discipline of the military, and they had received good job offers in the civilian sector.
Kang advised the ministry to conduct an immediate evaluation of the system, saying that many of its practices are anachronistic.
More flexible exit strategies that are responsive to the needs of today’s soldiers should be put in place, he said.
Hung has been concerned with rights of soldiers in military service, after rising to national prominence at the helm of a national movement against military abuse spurred by the death of her brother, army corporal Hung Chung-chiu (洪仲丘), who died of heatstroke following punishment exercises days before his scheduled discharge in 2013.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as