Amid an ongoing controversy over Sun Yat-sen’s (孫逸仙) status as the nation’s “founding father,” Legislative Speaker Su Jia-chyuan (蘇嘉全) yesterday refused to bow to Sun’s portrait when a Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) lawmaker asked him to do so during a legislative question-and-answer session.
When taking the floor, KMT Legislator-at-large Chang Li-shan (張麗善) asked Premier Simon Chang (張善政) to walk to the center of the legislative chamber for the ceremonial “three bows” to Sun’s portrait, which hangs above the seat of the legislative speaker facing the chamber.
Chang Li-shan, who is from a politically influential family in Yunlin County, then asked Su, and all officials and lawmakers present at the chamber, to join her in the courtesy bows.
Photo: CNA
Su rebuffed her request, saying it was inappropriate to undertake such an action during a session and there was no precedent for it.
“If every legislator wanted to do so, it would not be in line with procedures,” Su said.
“I urge all legislators to respect their turn on the floor, and they should conduct themselves in an appropriate manner during the question-and-answer session,” Su added.
Chang Li-shan said that since the legislature has not yet approved a proposal to remove Sun’s portraits from public buildings, the legislative speaker, as the head of people’s elected representatives, should pay his respect to the Republic of China’s founding father.
Su replied: “I can decide on my own whether to face the portrait of the ‘founding father’ or not.”
Together with Simon Chang, the KMT legislator performed the courtesy bows to Sun’s portrait, as she bellowed the traditional summons of “first bow, second bow, third bow.” The other legislators and government officials did not join them and remained in their seats.
During the afternoon session, Simon Chang said: “In theory, it is OK to take such bows to Sun’s portrait.”
“It has always been OK to do so, but on what occasions? The legislative speaker has his way of presiding over the chamber, and we should also respect how the speaker conducts the sessions,” he said.
“I was not sure if it had violated the legislature’s regulations, but we should abide by the legislative speaker’s decision. So I will check with the him on this issue later on,” he added.
The premier said he was in a difficult position at the time, so he paid his respects with a slight dipping of his head.
On Friday last week, KMT legislators blocked a proposal to remove Sun’s portrait from public buildings by returning three related draft bills to the Procedure Committee.
DPP Legislator Gao Jyh-peng (高志鵬) met with strong opposition from KMT legislators following his proposal to drop the tradition of saluting the portrait of Sun, referred to as the nation’s “founding father” by decrees under past KMT administrations.
Gao drafted amendments to the National Emblem and National Flag of the Republic of China Act (中華民國國徽國旗法) and the Oath Act (宣誓條例) for his proposal, saying that there is no constitutional basis for Sun’s title.
“The DPP has created a mechanism for transitional justice, which will deliberate on removing Sun’s portrait, and the proposals will be in its reports. As the KMT is opposed to the proposals, we are back to the Procedure Committee,” Gao said.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as