Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) Chairman and presidential candidate Eric Chu (朱立倫) yesterday released the party’s list of legislator-at-large nominees, saying the lineup demonstrated his efforts to allow more professionals and new faces to represent the KMT.
“More than half of the so-called ‘safe seats’ on the entire list are occupied by individuals with certain expertise and capabilities. Hopefully, this effort can give more specialists and upcoming talentsthe opportunity to represent the KMT in the legislature,” Chu said on the sidelines of a forum to promote his housing policy in Taipei yesterday morning, an hour before the KMT headquarters released the list.
Dismissing critics who lambasted the list, part of which was leaked on Thursday evening, as a continuation of the party’s patronage system, Chu said he would humbly accept all criticism against the list, but his determination to usher in reforms would remain unwavering.
Photo: Wang Han-ping, Taipei Times
The process of reform would undoubtedly be difficult and might even be filled with dangers, Chu said.
“Nevertheless, please have faith in my determination in implementing reforms. Changes might not come quickly, but I will do my utmost to fulfill the goal,” Chu said.
The KMT estimates it could garner sufficient votes in the Jan. 16 presidential and legislative elections to secure legislative seats for the first 12 people on the list of 34.
As widely predicted, the top spot is taken by Legislative Speaker Wang Jin-pyng (王金平), who has held the speakership for nearly 17 years, since February 1999.
The speaker is followed by Tamkang University dean of student affairs Ko Chih-en (柯志恩); Kaohsiung Medical University vice president Chen Yi-Ming (陳宜民); Taiwan New Immigrant Development and Exchange Association director-general Lin Li-chan (林麗蟬), who is a Cambodian immigrant spouse; TEDxTaipei cofounder Jason Hsu (許毓仁) and Financial Supervisory Commission Chairman William Tseng (曾銘宗).
Also on the “safe list” are — in order of ranking — KMT Legislator Huang Chao-shun (黃昭順); former Taoyuan County commissioner John Wu (吳志揚); former KMT legislator Chang Li-shan (張麗善), Hualien County Commissioner Fu Kun-chi’s (傅崑萁) wife, Hsu Chen-wei (徐榛蔚); Presidential Office Secretary-General Tseng Yung-chuan (曾永權) and KMT Legislator Alicia Wang (王育敏).
In an apparent attempt by the KMT to reach out to the younger generation, Chu’s campaign office spokesperson Hsu Chiao-hsin (徐巧芯), a 26-year-old graduate National Chengchi University’s postgraduate program in political science, is 17th on the list.
Three members of the KMT Youth Corp also made the list: 31-year-old Lee Cheng-hao (李正皓) at No. 31, 25-year-old Lin Chia-hsing (林家興) at No. 33; and 22-year-old Hsiao Ching-yan (蕭敬嚴) at No. 34.
The nominee lineup conforms to Chu’s previously announced plan to give the safe seats on the list to three groups of people: the future choice for legislative speakership, professionals in specific fields and the KMT’s reserved talents for the 2018 mayoral and commissioner race.
The list was sent to the KMT’s Central Standing Committee for review at yesterday’s meeting, during which dozens of committee members voiced their concerns about the selection of the nominees.
The party’s 211-seat Central Committee is due to vote on the 34 nominees today.
Those who receive disapproval from more than half of the committee members at today’s the meeting would see their nomination annulled.
KMT Culture and Communications Committee director-general Lin Yi-hua (林奕華), who 14th on the list, said the nominees would be required to sign two affidavits after their nomination was passed by the Central Committee.
“One of them asks the candidates to pledge support for legislative reforms, while the other requires them to join the 2018 mayoral and commissioner elections should they be called upon by party headquarters. Those who refuse to comply would be stripped of their party membership,” Lin said.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as