Following a three-month hiatus, dozens of retired workers from Hualon Corp yesterday returned to the Ministry of Labor building in Taipei to demand unpaid pensions.
They accused the ministry of procrastinating on the issue after the two sides reached a landmark agreement on a compensation scheme in November last year, which proposes to use funds from bank donations.
While the agreement has been described by media commentators as a major achievement for Minister of Labor Chen Hsiung-wen (陳雄文), the workers said that Chen has failed to follow through on his promises.
Photo: CNA
Chen last year said that the former Hualon workers would receive their pensions over the Lunar New Year break, with Lunar New Year’s Day falling on Feb. 19 this year.
Over the past three years, the workers have launched a string of demonstrations against various government agencies, demanding that authorities help them reclaim pensions from Hualon.
The workers said that Hualon, which declared bankruptcy in 2012, owes its former employees about NT$1 million each after it failed to allocate retirement pensions as required by law.
The Hualon Workers’ Self-Help Organization yesterday demanded that the ministry resolve the issue within three weeks.
Dressed in their signature yellow cloaks with the word “anger” written across their chests, the workers chanted slogans and threw balls of crumpled paper at the building over the heads of a line of police officers.
“We were unwilling to come back here again today,” organization secretary Huang Yung-fu (黃永喬) said. “Every time we visit, we assume that we will never need to return.”
The Ministry of Labor said that the compensation process was delayed because the workers refused to withdraw their lawsuit against the banks until late March.
Ministry official Chen Yu-wen (陳毓文) said that the ministry has already received money from five banks, while the remaining 13 banks involved in the case are to transfer their funds to a ministry account by the middle of next month.
A court auction of Hualon’s assets in August last year prioritized compensation to banks and other creditors, leaving the workers with about NT$2,000 apiece.
The controversial ruling prompted the workers to file a lawsuit against the banks.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as