Minister of Education Wu Se-hwa (吳思華) yesterday said that the new curriculum guidelines should be followed in new textbooks set to be printed and would be used to draw up college entrance examination questions, despite widespread criticism.
The legislature’s Education and Culture Committee again invited the minister and other related public officials to report on the curriculum adjustments, which opposition legislators and civic groups have said were made dishonestly, and move students toward a Chinese-centered perspective.
Since the Taipei City Government recently said that its schools would continue using the unadjusted curriculum amid ongoing legal issues pertaining to the new one, five of the six special municipalities — barring the Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT)-governed New Taipei City — have decided to stick to the previous curriculum.
KMT legislators Kung Wen-chi (孔文吉) and Chen Shu-hui (陳淑慧) expressed their worries over the “one country, two systems” problem concerning the textbooks and its possible effect on students, with Chen questioning the legitimacy of Taipei City Government’s calling on the ministry to avoid including contentious parts of the new curriculum in the nationwide exams.
“The new curriculum guidelines would be an executive regulation by which the schools should abide. With their promulgation, the old curriculum would cease to exist, and the exams would be based on the new curriculum,” Wu said.
Taiwan Solidarity Union Legislator Lai Cheng-chang (賴振昌) challenged Wu’s statement, saying that the emergence of a new curriculum does not automatically invalidate an older one.
Democratic Progressive Party legislators Cheng Li-chun (鄭麗君) and Ho Hsin-chun (何欣純) said that as the license issued by the ministry for printing textbooks based on the old curriculum would not expire until 2018, there should be no legal prohibition against using textbooks based on the old curriculum.
Refusing to respond directly to the question of whether the license is legal, Wu repeated that the previous curriculum should be replaced.
Conventions have guided the process of the replacement of the old with the new curriculum, “and since there had been little controversy in the past, the invalidation of the old textbook license was never officially required. However, without it, we have an ambiguous situation now,” KMT Legislator Chen Pi-han (陳碧涵) said.
Challenged by Cheng on the adjustment-making procedures, which she accused of being illegitimate and flawed, the minister appeared piqued and urged the legislator to “point out the controversial parts to allow [all] to face [the contention] in a sensible way.”
However, when Cheng picked up his appeal for opening up and requested a new round of public hearings on the parts met with disputes, Wu said “the writing of the [new] textbooks has been finished” and the ministry will “showcase the new textbooks for public examination.”
The committee, after hours of negotiation, resolved the passage of two extemporaneous motions: that the ministry will respect each school’s right on textbook choosing, and that the College Entrance Examination Center will avoid controversial topics when designing the exams.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
A wild live dugong was found in Taiwan for the first time in 88 years, after it was accidentally caught by a fisher’s net on Tuesday in Yilan County’s Fenniaolin (粉鳥林). This is the first sighting of the species in Taiwan since 1937, having already been considered “extinct” in the country and considered as “vulnerable” by the International Union for Conservation of Nature. A fisher surnamed Chen (陳) went to Fenniaolin to collect the fish in his netting, but instead caught a 3m long, 500kg dugong. The fisher released the animal back into the wild, not realizing it was an endangered species at
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
The High Prosecutors’ Office yesterday withdrew an appeal against the acquittal of a former bank manager 22 years after his death, marking Taiwan’s first instance of prosecutors rendering posthumous justice to a wrongfully convicted defendant. Chu Ching-en (諸慶恩) — formerly a manager at the Taipei branch of BNP Paribas — was in 1999 accused by Weng Mao-chung (翁茂鍾), then-president of Chia Her Industrial Co, of forging a request for a fixed deposit of US$10 million by I-Hwa Industrial Co, a subsidiary of Chia Her, which was used as collateral. Chu was ruled not guilty in the first trial, but was found guilty