With legislators having until today to review a proposed amendment to the Water Pollution Control Act (水汙染防治法) in the current legislative session, environmental protection groups yesterday urged Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) legislators not to block the passage of the draft amendments, which would impose steeper fines on companies and farms that bypass rules to discharge excessive amounts of wastewater and pollutants.
Without giving any names, Environmental Jurist Association secretary-general Echo Lin (林仁惠) said that due to possible influence-peddling between KMT legislators and corporations, some legislators delayed the review process by presenting reasons aimed at diverting attention, thereby blocking the passage of the draft amendments.
KMT legislators Tsai Chin-lung (蔡錦隆), Chiang Hui-chen (江惠貞) and Su Ching-chuan (蘇清泉) were among those who opposed proposals to raise fines during the latest committee meeting to review the amendment on Dec. 31.
Tsai debated with Environmental Protection Administration (EPA) officials over raising the fine for firms that do not submit wastewater pollutant monitoring data or firms that file forged data, asking whether firms that violate the rules out of negligence are to be fined, while Chiang engaged in a heated exchange with Democratic Progressive Party Legislator Lin Shu-fen (林淑芬), a supporter of the proposal.
Su, who opposed raising the fines for operators in the animal husbandry sector who dump excessive amounts of outflow, told his counterparts who support the proposal: “Let’s see whether you will let out a cry of hunger when you have no pork to eat.”
In response to the KMT legislators’ concerns about smaller establishments receiving hefty fines, attorney and long-time environmentalist Thomas Chan (詹順貴) said the main purpose of the amendment is to deter large corporations from causing pollution by raising the maximum fine, and that judges would issue penalties according to the severity of the violations.
Citing the example of Advanced Semiconductor Engineering Inc (AEC), which dumped massive amounts of wastewater into Houjin River (後勁溪) in Greater Kaohsiung, he said that the company was given only a NT$3 million fine and that the penalty was not even imposed based on the water act, which at the time of the ruling, in October last year, stipulated just a NT$600,000 fine for firms that discharge more wastewater than permitted.
“The KMT legislators may sugarcoat their blocking the amendment by saying that raising the fines would have a negative impact on industry, but the most important aspect of this amendment is to protect law-abiding firms and shelter them from the unwanted competition brought by violators,” he said.
Taiwan Watch Institute’s Herlin Hsieh (謝和霖) panned the Council of Agriculture and the KMT for what he said was their “perverse” stance while objecting to proposals to increase fines for animal farmers and saying that the farmers should be consulted before setting the amounts of the fines.
“The council should provide guidance to small farmers so that their outflows can meet requirements, instead of worrying that they might not be able to afford the fines,” he said.
Citizen of the Earth, Taiwan director Tsai Hue-hsun (蔡卉荀) called on KMT legislators to behave conscientiously at the legislature today to best serve the public interest.
With reference to the ASE case, she said: “Let’s not forget whose money will be spent to cover the expenses required to clean up streams when they become polluted.”
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as