Dozens of doctors and medical students in Taipei yesterday delivered a petition signed by netizens to the Taiwan Medical Association urging Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) Legislator Su Ching-chuan (蘇清泉) to resign as the association’s chairman and apologize to the public over recent remarks.
Among the group were members of the Taiwan Medical Alliance for Labor Justice and Patient Safety — an organization founded in 2012 by a group of doctors dedicated to reforming the nation’s healthcare system — including Shih Jin-chung (施景中), an attending physician at National Taiwan University Hospital’s Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology; Fang Jui-wen (方瑞雯), a doctor at Taipei Municipal Gan-Dau Hospital’s Division of Family Medicine; and Chiayi Chang Gung Memorial Hospital physician Tony Hsu (許宏志).
They chanted the slogan: “Politicians stay away from the medical community, doctors focus on saving lives,” before delivering the letter, addressed to Su, to association secretary-general Tsai Ming-chung (蔡明忠).
Photo: Liu Hsin-de, Taipei Times
“While it is the right of people to elect their president, we, as doctors, do not have a say in how the association chooses its chairman and board members. That is why only a few of them are reputed medical practitioners ... and why the association has been used as a bargaining chip for political interests,” Shih said outside the association headquarters in Daan District (大安).
Shih said Su had already courted controversy before he accused the university hospital on Thursday last week of having given high doses of phentolamine and heparin to 26 trauma patients in the past 15 years to trick district prosecutors into issuing death certificates for potential organ donors.
“When the government proposed an increase to the tobacco health and welfare surcharge [in March], Su opposed the plan, saying that smoking was one of the few pleasures left for lower-middle-class people and that the government should not take that away from them,” Shih said. “When emergency care doctors were beaten by patients’ parents’ families, Su said it must have been because the doctors were indifferent or idiotic.”
Shih said the physician-turned-KMT lawmaker stirred up further controversy by saying that problematic oils involved in a seemingly endless string of cooking oil scandals in recent months were safe to eat if they met government standards.
“Nearly 70 percent of the 47,000 people who have signed the online petition launched on Thursday last week are medical personnel,” Shih said. “If Su refuses to step down as chairman voluntarily, we will launch a movement to impeach him instead.”
Fang said Su’s accusations have hurt not only people who specialize in organ procurement and transplants, but also the families of organ donors, who might be tormented by questions over whether it was their decision to donate their loved ones’ organs that led to their death.
“Taiwan already faces a difficult road to facilitate organ procurement. We urge everyone to cherish the country’s hard-earned achievements in the field rather than tarnishing them,” Fang said.
Meanwhile, Taiwan Organ Registry and Sharing Center chairman Lee Po-chang (李伯璋) yesterday said he is relieved that Su’s accusations have led to a noticeable increase in the number of people signing up to be organ donors, as opposed to a decrease as he had feared.
Lee said that from August to last month, an average of 190 people per month registered as organ donors, while about nine people applied to have their names removed from the registry in each month.
“However, since the beginning of this month, 426 people have added their names to the organ donation register, including 233 from Thursday last week through Monday,” Lee said, adding that the center has received only 16 applications for removal from the registry in the same period.
“The trend indicates that Taiwanese are aware that [Su’s accusations] were motivated merely by the [nine-in-one] elections and that they still have faith in the nation’s organ donation system,” he said.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
A magnitude 4.9 earthquake struck off Tainan at 11:47am today, the Central Weather Administration (CWA) said. The hypocenter was 32.3km northeast of Tainan City Hall at a depth of 7.3km, CWA data showed. The intensity of the quake, which gauges the actual effect of a seismic event, measured 4 in Tainan and Chiayi County on Taiwan's seven-tier intensity scale, the data showed. The quake had an intensity of 3 in Chiayi City and County, and Yunlin County, while it was measured as 2 in Kaohsiung, Nantou County, Changhua County, Taitung County and offshore Penghu County, the data showed. There were no immediate reports of
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated