The Taipei City Government’s Hakka Affairs Commission apologized and took down a billboard at 9pm on Wednesday, in response to criticism it resembled a renowned Ezaki Glico Co advertisement in Osaka, Japan, the sixth generation of which had been unveiled in the city that day.
The Ezaki Glico billboard, featuring a running man with his hands raised, has remained in place since it was first put up in 1935, undergoing multiple revisions to commemorate different events.
The company is a renowned sweets company based in Japan.
Photo: Internet screengrab
The commission’s Hakka Cultural Foundation admitted to a faulty review process and said it would reprimand the contracted company, adding that aside from posting an apology on Facebook, it would also apologize to Ezaki Glico through other channels.
Some netizens said they did not know what Japanese tourists would think of Taiwan if they had passed through the area.
Other netizens said they did not understand why the government would plagiarize a Japanese idea when Taiwan has excellent illustrators.
Photo provided by Internet user
The foundation said that the billboard was placed on the outer walls of the Hakka Cultural Park, adding that it had been subcontracted to a sales and promotion company.
The foundation said it was given a preview of the product, but had not realized that it was a copy of another product with such history, adding that it had immediately taken the billboard down, roughly nine hours after it was put up.
The foundation promised an internal review and said it would seek compensation from the company it subcontracted.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as