Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) Legislator Su Ching-chuan (蘇清泉) yesterday said that oil refined from waste products could be safely consumed if legal standards were followed in its manufacture.
“The problem lies not with the [refinery] technology, but with the conscience,” he added.
Su, a physician and director-general of the Taiwan Medical Association, said on the legislative floor yesterday that food-grade oil made from recycled products, since it passes health authorities’ standards, “should be edible.”
While delivering a short speech calling for the establishment of a “food safety network,” Su said that, as could be seen from recent food scandals, “factory hardware and the refinery technologies are not a problem: From plasticizers and clouding agents through adulterated oil to recycled and tainted oil, all of them have passed the end tests for acid value, [benzo(a)pyrene] and heavy metals, among others.”
“Many people have asked me whether the [questionable] oil is edible; I told them it should be, if it complied with standards,” the legislator said. “Even with the oil said to be refined from fat discarded by leather factories, the tests for heavy metals such as cadmium did not find anything substandard.”
“So the problem lies not with the technology, but with people’s conscience and morality. There are no black-hearted products, but only black-hearted manufacturers,” he said, calling on Premier Jiang Yi-huah (江宜樺) and the Cabinet to tackle the issue through morality education.
However, he also underlined the importance of a “food safety network” established by the government and including representatives from businesses and the public, who respectively should assume the tasks of supervision, source-tracking and informing in order to stamp out malpractice among food companies.
While lauding Jiang’s eight measures to increase food oversight announced on Wednesday, Su said that at least two points need be further augmented.
“The recycling of waste oil should be strictly regulated and monitored, and the Good Manufacturing Practice and Good Handling Practices certifications should be modified, rather than abolished. Changes could include revisions to the current rules on the composition of the evaluation committee and to the evaluation criteria,” Su said.
He then extolled the “swift response” to the scandal by the Cabinet and Minister of Health and Welfare Chiu Wen-ta’s (邱文達) team.
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
Fast food chain McDonald's is to raise prices by up to NT$5 on some products at its restaurants across Taiwan, starting on Wednesday next week, the company announced today. The prices of all extra value meals and sharing boxes are to increase by NT$5, while breakfast combos and creamy corn soup would go up by NT$3, the company said in a statement. The price of the main items of those meals, if ordered individually, would remain the same. Meanwhile, the price of a medium-sized lemon iced tea and hot cappuccino would rise by NT$3, extra dipping sauces for chicken nuggets would go up
Yangmingshan National Park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) nature area has gone viral after a park livestream camera observed a couple in the throes of intimate congress, which was broadcast live on YouTube, drawing large late-night crowds and sparking a backlash over noise, bright lights and disruption to wildlife habitat. The area’s livestream footage appeared to show a couple engaging in sexual activity on a picnic table in the park on Friday last week, with the uncensored footage streamed publicly online. The footage quickly spread across social media, prompting a tide of visitors to travel to the site to “check in” and recreate the
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not