With the mercury in Taipei rising past 37°C for six consecutive days last week, the number of passengers on the Maokong Gondola has been dwindling.
Touted by the city government as one of Taipei’s top tourist attractions, the gondola has received growing complaints about poor ventilation and the frequency with which operations are suspended.
A thermometer placed inside one of the gondola cabins on the side facing the sun at noon on Saturday registered a temperature of 37.4°C, which was even higher than the outside temperature at the time.
Photo: Hsieh Chieh-yu, Taipei Times
Passengers taking a 20-minute ride on the cable car system from the Taipei Zoo Station to the Maokong Station often find themselves soaked in sweat by the end because of the poor ventilation.
Although the Taipei Rapid Transit Corp (TRTC) has introduced slats to the originally airtight windows in an effort to provide better ventilation, the problem has yet to be fully addressed.
To boost the transport capacity of the system, the TRTC launched a seasonal promotional campaign targeting students on summer break, offering free rides to passengers aged 12 or under and a “buy one, get one free” deal for those aged above 12.
Despite the promotions, parents are reluctant to take their children for a gondola ride, fearing that the lack of air-conditioning and ventilation could put their children at risk of heatstroke.
Another deal breaker for passengers is the frequent suspension of the gondola service due to poor weather conditions, in particular during the summer when afternoon thundershowers are commonplace.
Taipei City Councilor Chuang Ruei-hsiung (莊瑞雄) of the Democratic Progressive Party said the gondola system was built by the French company POMA and had never been used in countries in a subtropical zone.
“The Taipei City Government should certainly be scolded for approving these ‘roasting cabins’ without considering Taiwan’s climate,” Chuang said.
In response to the criticism, TRTC general manager Tan Gwa-guang (譚國光) said the gondola cabins could not be equipped with air-conditioners mainly because they do not have power systems.
Tan said the ventilation provided by the addition of window shades in each cable car had already reached maximum capacity.
Compared with the Maokong Gondola’s seemingly dwindling popularity, the cable car system linking Sun Moon Lake and the Formosan Aboriginal Culture Village amusement park in Nantou County, on the other hand, is drawing more passengers despite the rising temperatures.
The Sun Moon Lake Ropeway, a 1.87km route — built, owned and operated by the park — has carried more than 5 million passengers since it started operations in December 2009. On Saturday, the cable car system logged more than 8,000 visits.
“The Sun Moon Lake Ropeway travels at about 1,000m above sea level, with four fanlights and two large entrance doors installed in each cabin in addition to numerous ventilation holes on the floor,” said Huang Jui-chi (黃瑞奇), a manager at the culture village.
This design allows good air circulation in the cable cars, thereby lowering the cabin temperature, Huang said.
In addition to offering passengers an ideal riding environment, the park has also launched a host of creative promotion campaigns to boost local tourism, observers said.
This year, for example, the park decorated the cabins with characters of the popular Japanese manga series One Piece, successfully attracting flocks of fans eager to have a ride.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as