The Banciao District Court yesterday sentenced former baseball star Chen Chih-yuan (陳致遠) to a two-and-a-half-year prison sentence for game-fixing.
The court also sentenced former baseball player Tsai Fong-an (蔡豐安) to one year and fined him NT$2 million (US$69,500) for the same offense. Former player Yang Po-jen (楊博任) was sentenced to two years and fined NT$1 million. The three were found guilty of harming the image of the professional league, having an unrepentant attitude after committing a crime and wasting judicial resources.
Their case can be appealed.
Photo: Wang Ting-chuang, Taipei Times
The game-fixing case erupted after the 20th championship game in Oct. 2009, involving star players such as Chen, Chang Chih-chia (張誌家), Tsao Chin-hui (曹錦輝) and Liao Yu-cheng (廖于誠) among others.
Last year, the district court indicted Chen, Chang and Tsai on charges of fraud, but Tsao and Hsieh Chia-hsien (謝佳賢) were not indicted because of a lack of evidence.
During the trial in April, the prosecution accused Chen and Tsai, both well paid and trained using state resources, of not only failing to avoid involvement in the scandal but also of denying their criminal activities and misleading the public.
The court said it decided to increase the sentences’ severity because of Chen and Tsai’s unrepentant attitude.
According to the court ruling, Chuang Yu-lin (莊侑霖) gave testimony that after a game on March 25, 2006, Chen and Tsai took a ride in Yu Tse-bin’s (余則彬) car, where Chuang gave Chen a shoebox containing NT$1 million in cash.
Yu was an alleged member of the Windshield Wipers gang, an syndicate accused of placing bets on professional baseball games and recruiting players to manipulate the outcome of those games.
Yesterday’s ruling said that Chen received cash payment days after he had fixed a game.
However, the district court did not have strong enough evidence regarding accusations that Chen also received sexual favors.
TRANSLATED BY JAKE CHUNG, STAFF WRITER
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as