Eric Chu (朱立倫), the Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) candidate for Sinbei City mayor, has won a libel action against the creators of a video accusing the former Taoyuan County commissioner of having an extra-marital affair.
In a recording released in November 2005, producer Lin Yi-fang (林一方) accused Chu of having numerous extra-marital relationships, including one with a network news anchor, as well as suggesting that he had had an affair with his former secretary.
Lin, who was previously one of the creators of the controversial Special Report VCD series, had said he wanted to expose government officials that he believed were involved in scandals. He has denied that anyone was defamed by the film.
Photo: CNA
The ruling by the Taiwan High Court, which can still be appealed to the Supreme Court, brings with it substantial libel damages of NT$3 million (US$97,400) — which Chu said he would donate to charity.
Expressing his satisfaction with the latest ruling, Chu said he believed all along that elections were supposed to be fought on “election policies, hard work and dedication instead of low-class attacks.”
However, with just 10 days remaining before the special municipality elections, he was also quick to connect Lin with his opponent in the election, Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) Chairperson Tsai Ing-wen (蔡英文), claiming that she had previously endorsed Lin’s video.
“Five years ago, when Tsai acted as an honorary chairperson for a DPP candidate’s campaign, she went as far as to speak in support of the [video],” Chu said at a campaign event.
“Now that Tsai herself is also a candidate, she is still using some of her staffers to launch all sorts of attacks [against me],” he said, claiming that some of his supporters recently received packages containing false allegations against him.
One of his spokesmen said the campaign team would “definitely sue” the person found to be sending the packages.
However, two Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) lawmakers said at a press conference yesterday that what the KMT described as “suspicious packages” were actually clearly signed and labeled.
The contents are also factual, they said.
“Chu should have a bit of common sense,” DPP Legislator Kuo Jung-tsung (郭榮宗) said. “The documents were clearly signed by myself, DPP Legislator Huang Jen-shu (黃仁杼) and Cheng Wen-tsang (鄭文燦), [one of Tsai’s campaign officials].”
The information reportedly contains claims that Chu cut subsidies for the elderly and withheld agricultural subsidies. Both figures are publicly accessible, Kuo said.
Tsai denied the allegation that she had once spoken in support of Lin’s video, saying Chu seemed to have gotten his facts confused.
“His remarks are absolute nonsense — I’m afraid that Chu needs to calm down,” she said. “I believe that his recent comments are stepping a bit over the line.”
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as