Council for Cultural Affairs (CCA) Minister Emile Sheng (盛治仁) yesterday apologized to political victims, their families and artist Yu Wen-fu (游文富) over the controversy arising from the council's public art exhibition at the Jingmei Human Rights Culture Park.
“On behalf of the CCA, I would like to offer my apologies to the political victims and their families,” Sheng told a press conference. “If we had asked for more public input and had been more careful and considerate, we would not have organized the exhibition at such a sensitive location.”
“There was no political motive behind the display of these artworks, and we did not expect it to cause controversy,” he said.
The public art installation opened at the Jingmei Park last month to commemorate the 30th anniversary of the Kaohsiung Incident. The Kaohsiung Incident refers to the mass demonstration in 1979 against the authoritarian rule of the then-Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) regime that later turned violent. Leaders of the demonstration, including former Democratic Progressive Party chairman Shih Ming-teh (施明德), were arrested and prosecuted for crimes against the state.
The Jingmei Human Rights Culture Park was selected as the site for the exhibition because it was the former site of a military prison where political dissidents were detained, tried and imprisoned.
However, an artwork by Yu displayed outside the cell where Wang Hsi-ling (汪希苓), former head of the Military Intelligence Bureau, stayed when he was placed under house arrest upset Shih’s wife, Chen Chia-chun (陳嘉君), who said the artwork sought to glorify Wang.
Wang was placed under house arrest for ordering the 1984 assassination of Taiwanese-American writer Henry Liu (劉宜良) at his home in San Francisco after Liu wrote a biography critical of then-president Chiang Ching-kuo (蔣經國). Wang was arrested after international pressure on the KMT to take action.
Chen first attacked the artwork last month when the exhibition opened, and then spread red paint on the work earlier this month.
It was not the first time that the council's handling of the former military prison had caused controversy.
Last year, its plan to drop the term “human rights” from the park’s name and rename it a “culture park” also drew strong criticism. The council later compromised by calling it a “human rights culture park.”
Asked by reporters whether the council would consider turning the park back into a human rights memorial in the future after all the controversy surrounding it, Sheng said it could be an option.
“We plan to hold public hearings to hear more opinions, look more into the history that the site represents and then carefully plan the future of the park,” he said.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
A wild live dugong was found in Taiwan for the first time in 88 years, after it was accidentally caught by a fisher’s net on Tuesday in Yilan County’s Fenniaolin (粉鳥林). This is the first sighting of the species in Taiwan since 1937, having already been considered “extinct” in the country and considered as “vulnerable” by the International Union for Conservation of Nature. A fisher surnamed Chen (陳) went to Fenniaolin to collect the fish in his netting, but instead caught a 3m long, 500kg dugong. The fisher released the animal back into the wild, not realizing it was an endangered species at
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
The High Prosecutors’ Office yesterday withdrew an appeal against the acquittal of a former bank manager 22 years after his death, marking Taiwan’s first instance of prosecutors rendering posthumous justice to a wrongfully convicted defendant. Chu Ching-en (諸慶恩) — formerly a manager at the Taipei branch of BNP Paribas — was in 1999 accused by Weng Mao-chung (翁茂鍾), then-president of Chia Her Industrial Co, of forging a request for a fixed deposit of US$10 million by I-Hwa Industrial Co, a subsidiary of Chia Her, which was used as collateral. Chu was ruled not guilty in the first trial, but was found guilty