The factories responsible for last month’s poisonous gas leaks at the Tafa Industrial Park in Kaohsiung County’s Taliao Township (大寮) have been identified, the Environmental Protection Administration (EPA) said yesterday.
“After days of intense investigation, we have narrowed down the list of factories likely responsible for the leaks to a few. Who should be targeted for compensation is now clear and Taliao residents can seek mediation. There is no need for [Taliao residents] to protest,” EPA Minister Steven Shen (沈世宏) said at a press conference in Taipei.
Shen said the Kaohsiung County Government should begin mediation between the Industrial Park and residents as soon as possible.
Shen made the comments in response to violent clashes yesterday involving Taliao residents and factories in the industrial park. A section chief at the park suffered a concussion and glass windows at a wastewater treatment plant were shattered with hammers and baseball bats by angry protesters. The protestors demanded that the plant supply a satisfactory proposal for how to resolve the dispute. They also threatened to stage a “bloodshed protest” on Friday.
The leaks first occurred on Dec. 1, when toxic gas, allegedly leaking from the industrial park to nearby Chaoliao Junior High School and Elementary School, sickened 82 students and teachers. The victims were hospitalized and treated for nausea, chest pains and dizziness.
Gas leaks affected villagers again on Dec. 12, Dec. 25 and Dec. 29.
Asked if the Kaohsiung County Government and the EPA were trying to shirk their responsibilities, Shen said: “The Public Nuisance Dispute Mediation Act clearly states who is responsible for what when such a dispute arises. The county government has to initiate the mediation. If those efforts fail, then the EPA has to step in.”
On Dec. 7, Shen identified seven “suspects” that could have contributed to the gas leaks, including two chemical container washing plants and five chemical plants. At the time, however, the identity of the culprit was something the EPA said it “could not be certain of,” Shen said.
Taliao residents said yesterday they still believed the wastewater treatment plant near the schools should shoulder most of the responsibility.
Shen denied media reports that the government had failed to identify the factories at fault, saying that all seven factories should discuss how to divide the compensation funds paid to residents, as all were “related to the poisonous gases” and could be asked to compensate the villagers for their suffering.
“If the factories feel they are innocent, they should offer evidence to support their claims, which will be investigated by the mediation committee,” he said.
“Compensation will come in two parts, one unspecified, which may be payable to all Taliao residents for their years of suffering, and another for the victims of the recent leaks,” Shen said, adding that while the former reimbursement could reach NT$100,000 per person, the latter could amount to NT$300,000 per person.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as