Former premier Su Tseng-chang (蘇貞昌) lamented yesterday the loss of former Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) legislator Lu Hsiu-yi (盧修一), who he described as selfless and kind.
Su made the remarks after attending the 10th anniversary of Lu’s death in Taipei yesterday afternoon.
On the eve of the Taipei County commissioner race in 1997, Lu kneeled on stage, despite being ill, to solicit votes for Su, the DPP candidate for the post. Su later won the election.
Emphasizing his debt to Lu, Su said he felt Lu had been with him over the past decade and that the reason Lu was still well remembered and respected was because he was an individual who was sincere, straightforward and vivacious.
During an era when the legislative chamber was under the control of legislators who had not had to face the electorate for decades, the DPP was united then, Su said.
“He was willing to forsake his dream of running for the top job in Taipei County and help me with my bid. There is no comparison between what he did for me and what other politicians would do,” Su said. “He did not do it for himself, he did it for his friend, for Taipei County and for the party.”
Su said he was ashamed and distraught after seeing the party lose in several elections and party members engage in fierce infighting.
“The party should feel embarrassed for losing that spirit,” Su said. “I wish there were more people like Lu to make his beloved Taiwan a better place.”
The latest Papua New Guinea fund scandal has delivered a significant blow to the DPP’s popularity.
Su yesterday opposed calls for President Chen Shui-bian (陳水扁) to bear responsibility for the scandal, urging prosecutors to uncover the truth to prevent the public from being misled by “crooks.”
“I don’t think the head of state knows every detail of the plan and how it was executed,” Su said. “It is not right to hold the president responsible or ask him to step down, unless he is found to be guilty of corruption.”
Su said the country’s diplomatic situation was in dire straits and there were many problems that few people could understand — except for those who are actually involved.
He said he believed former vice premier Chiou I-jen (邱義仁) and former minister of foreign affairs James Huang (黃志芳) did not pocket any money and that he hoped the truth will come out soon and clear the names of the innocent.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
A wild live dugong was found in Taiwan for the first time in 88 years, after it was accidentally caught by a fisher’s net on Tuesday in Yilan County’s Fenniaolin (粉鳥林). This is the first sighting of the species in Taiwan since 1937, having already been considered “extinct” in the country and considered as “vulnerable” by the International Union for Conservation of Nature. A fisher surnamed Chen (陳) went to Fenniaolin to collect the fish in his netting, but instead caught a 3m long, 500kg dugong. The fisher released the animal back into the wild, not realizing it was an endangered species at
The High Prosecutors’ Office yesterday withdrew an appeal against the acquittal of a former bank manager 22 years after his death, marking Taiwan’s first instance of prosecutors rendering posthumous justice to a wrongfully convicted defendant. Chu Ching-en (諸慶恩) — formerly a manager at the Taipei branch of BNP Paribas — was in 1999 accused by Weng Mao-chung (翁茂鍾), then-president of Chia Her Industrial Co, of forging a request for a fixed deposit of US$10 million by I-Hwa Industrial Co, a subsidiary of Chia Her, which was used as collateral. Chu was ruled not guilty in the first trial, but was found guilty
DEADLOCK: As the commission is unable to forum a quorum to review license renewal applications, the channel operators are not at fault and can air past their license date The National Communications Commission (NCC) yesterday said that the Public Television Service (PTS) and 36 other television and radio broadcasters could continue airing, despite the commission’s inability to meet a quorum to review their license renewal applications. The licenses of PTS and the other channels are set to expire between this month and June. The National Communications Commission Organization Act (國家通訊傳播委員會組織法) stipulates that the commission must meet the mandated quorum of four to hold a valid meeting. The seven-member commission currently has only three commissioners. “We have informed the channel operators of the progress we have made in reviewing their license renewal applications, and