Several Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) legislators yesterday said they are considering withdrawing from the party or the KMT caucus over the loss of their legislative nominations or disagreement with caucus ideals.
KMT Legislator Lee Sen-zong (
"Because of our fundamental differences, either the caucus leaves or we [Lee and several other KMT legislators] leave. It is very simple," Lee said.
The Chinese-language Liberty Times (the Taipei Times' sister paper) reported yesterday that at least six KMT lawmakers who failed to secure the party's nomination for next year's legislative election or who complained about unfair treatment in the primary are thinking about leaving the KMT or becoming independent from the KMT caucus.
The six legislators include Lee, Ko Chun-hsiung (柯俊雄), Chang Chang-tsair (張昌財), Chen Chao-rung (陳朝容) and Lin Cheng-feng (林正峰) the Liberty Times reported.
When asked whether he may join the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP), Lee said he was considering the possibility.
"If [KMT presidential candidate] Ma [Ying-jeou (馬英九)] likes us, we will stay. If he doesn't, we will say goodbye [to the KMT]," he said.
Lee skipped the KMT's primary against Wu Yu-sheng (
Lee said he would seek reelection in Tamsui, Taipei County, even though Wu is also running for a legislative post there.
When approached by reporters yesterday, Chang said he felt disillusioned by politics.
"I want to leave politics because I have seen enough of its ugly side. I am very disappointed," he said.
Chen yesterday also confirmed to the press that he is considering leaving the KMT caucus, but he dismissed media speculation that he, Ko and Chang were planning on leaving the caucus together.
Lin dismissed the Liberty Times report yesterday, while Ko was unavailable for comment.
KMT spokesman Su Jun-pin (蘇俊賓) said the party valued the legislators' opinions very much, and has been trying to dissuade them from leaving the party. Su said KMT Chairman Wu Poh-hsiung (吳伯雄) and Ma had already talked to Lee, and would continue to negotiate with him and other legislators.
"We are making a last effort to dissuade them from leaving the party, and hoping that they won't do something that will only please our opponents," Su said.
Additional reporting by Mo Yan-chih
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
A wild live dugong was found in Taiwan for the first time in 88 years, after it was accidentally caught by a fisher’s net on Tuesday in Yilan County’s Fenniaolin (粉鳥林). This is the first sighting of the species in Taiwan since 1937, having already been considered “extinct” in the country and considered as “vulnerable” by the International Union for Conservation of Nature. A fisher surnamed Chen (陳) went to Fenniaolin to collect the fish in his netting, but instead caught a 3m long, 500kg dugong. The fisher released the animal back into the wild, not realizing it was an endangered species at
The High Prosecutors’ Office yesterday withdrew an appeal against the acquittal of a former bank manager 22 years after his death, marking Taiwan’s first instance of prosecutors rendering posthumous justice to a wrongfully convicted defendant. Chu Ching-en (諸慶恩) — formerly a manager at the Taipei branch of BNP Paribas — was in 1999 accused by Weng Mao-chung (翁茂鍾), then-president of Chia Her Industrial Co, of forging a request for a fixed deposit of US$10 million by I-Hwa Industrial Co, a subsidiary of Chia Her, which was used as collateral. Chu was ruled not guilty in the first trial, but was found guilty
DEADLOCK: As the commission is unable to forum a quorum to review license renewal applications, the channel operators are not at fault and can air past their license date The National Communications Commission (NCC) yesterday said that the Public Television Service (PTS) and 36 other television and radio broadcasters could continue airing, despite the commission’s inability to meet a quorum to review their license renewal applications. The licenses of PTS and the other channels are set to expire between this month and June. The National Communications Commission Organization Act (國家通訊傳播委員會組織法) stipulates that the commission must meet the mandated quorum of four to hold a valid meeting. The seven-member commission currently has only three commissioners. “We have informed the channel operators of the progress we have made in reviewing their license renewal applications, and