Chunghwa Telecom Co (
More than 3,000 of Chunghwa's 26,000 workers' joined the protest, according to the Chunghwa Telecom Workers' Union, the organizer of the rally.
The protesters massed in front of Taipei Railway Station before marching past the Legislative Yuan, Chunghwa Telecom's head office and the Ministry of Transportation and Communications, protesting layoffs and calling for the removal of company chairman Hochen Tan (
PHOTO: CNA
Secretary-general of the union Chuan Ping-tang (
Although Chunghwa Telecom signed an agreement not to lay off employees or cut salaries for five years back in January last year, the union accused the company of transferring employees to far away offices in order to get rid of them.
"It is unreasonable to ask someone who lives in Pingtung to commute to Kaohsiung or from Chiayi to Tainan," Chuan said. "It is manifestly an attempt to make life intolerable for workers so that they leave."
"Nonsense," said Hank Wang (王漢朝), company vice-president and Chunghwa telecom spokesman, in response to the union's accusations.
A small number of employees were asked to transfer between cities as a result of regional office closures, he said.
"Those who leave Chunghwa telecom receive substantial packages and do so of their own volition," he added.
One thousand eight hundred Chunghwa telecom employees took buyouts in April last year. Another 1,600 are expected to do so this year.
Chuan said expectations of a job for life were dashed for Chunghwa telecom employees when the company was privatized. As a private company, Chunghwa now faces pressure to maximize profits by cutting personnel costs.
"We all passed government exams in order to enter Chunghwa Telecom," he said. "We thought we were promised jobs until the age of 65."
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as