Premier Su Tseng-chang (
According to Government Information Office Minister Cheng Wen-tsang (
The MOF scandal involved allegations that the Kaohsiung Customs Office had taken bribes during the bidding process for a patrol vessel maintenance project.
The other case in question concerned a CGA colonel, who was alleged to have been involved in a drink driving case and used a Coast Guard private as a scapegoat.
"After learning of the two stories, we spoke to the MOF and the CGA directly and discovered that the two offices had responded and provided satisfactory explanations to the public. The premier was pleased with the way they were handled," Cheng said.
Cheng said that all Cabinet members must possess the ability to deal with different kinds of crises and accidents.
"In cases like this they do not need any instructions from their superiors. Both the MOF and the CGA did a good job," he said.
"It also means that all Cabinet members paid full attention to what the premier said during the seminar yesterday," he added.
The seminar he referred to was the "seminar for new Cabinet members" which was held on Wednesday night.
During the meeting, the premier had asked all of his Cabinet team members to react quickly and efficiently to any situations that may arise.
He also told the new Cabinet members that "anyone failing to present work of the highest-quality will be relieved of their duties immediately."
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as